Generator Set Sizing: Get More from SpecSizer

by Visitor bakersj on ‎09-24-2014 10:39 AM

Steve Baker Banner.jpg

We first developed SpecSizer to help simplify the generator set sizing process for consulting specifying engineers, but it’s developed far beyond that since the legacy program was introduced in the 1980s. Our latest version provides comprehensive technical data, load models and algorithms to assist in identifying a properly sized generator set by considering factors such as site conditions, load characteristics and required performance.

The software offers a 40-Step Load Optimizer that uses program logic to calculate the smallest possible generator set along with the least number of load scenario steps, providing an optimal rating and footprint that minimizes costs. With more than 13,000 registered users, SpecSizer has become a critical tool for generator set sizing among design engineers, generator set installers and users in every global region.

My knowledge of generator set sizing began in November 2004, when I was asked to lead a 6 Sigma project to make our legacy generator set sizing tool the world’s best. Even with multiple Caterpillar apprentice programs and a grad-level education behind me, I knew very little about generator set sizing. In the years since then, I’ve had the opportunity to learn from and work beside the very best generator set sizing experts at Caterpillar. This is no ordinary group; several have almost 50 years of experience in sizing, specifying, installing, operating and/or maintaining generator sets, and many have earned PhDs in their respective fields. This has allowed for the development of a truly precise generator set sizing program that has pushed the industry forward.

Fortunately, I continue to work within this remarkable circle of colleagues and friends; and together, we’ve achieved our vision of making the Cat generator set sizing tool a world-class resource for SpecSizer users. Drawing on a decade of experience and a strong educational foundation, we’ve created a number of training presentations to help users get the most out of the generator set sizing software.

We have two training webinars coming up that are open to registered users: SpecSizer 101 Basic and SpecSizer 201 Intermediate. These provide an opportunity for us provide software guidance and better understand what users still need, where the difficulties lie and how we can tailor the program to make it even more efficient.

Invitations for the SpecSizer 101 webinar have been emailed to all registered SpecSizer users.  If you are already part of the SpecSizer community, we look forward to your participation during SpecSizer 101 Basic Training on September 25, 2014. We will discuss SpecSizer, load analysis, load step optimization, generator set selection, reporting and user support. The SpecSizer 201 Intermediate Training is scheduled for late-October 2014, and will provide a more in-depth overview.

If you haven’t received an invitation and would like to attend, please register for SpecSizer access at https://specsizer.cat.com .  If you have any other questions or generator set sizing inquiries, feel free to email us at specsizersupport@cat.com or you can contact me directly by leaving a comment below.

• What can you tell us about your experience using the SpecSizer software program?
  • For what applications have you used SpecSizer to specify your generator set sizing requirements?
  • What can Caterpillar do to make generator set sizing easier?

Comments
by Steve Meyers
on ‎09-25-2014 10:00 AM

Mr. Baker,

I need some input on set sizing based on our equipment, that we can share with our customers when they rent generators to run our equipment. Would you mind calling me at 770-251-8989 ? I think it may be easier to discuss directly thann e-mail. This area is new to me so I am learning also. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

by Visitor bakersj
on ‎10-01-2014 08:11 AM

Steve, thank you for your blog entry. Please email me at specsizersupport@cat.com and we can use the current process we've set up and used for several years now to address any inquiries you have related to genset sizing using SpecSizer. Again, the email address is specsizersupport@cat.com

Thanks.

by Dhruba B Thapa
on ‎10-15-2014 12:55 PM

Dear Steve Baker, It is my pleasure to correspond you for the knowledge on technologies of production of power (electricity, gas, heat) from city waste, agricultural waste, plant waste materials. Please kindly suggest me how to establish this industry in Nepal, how much it costs for technologies and consultants from there. Thank you very much. With Best Regards, Dhruba B Thapa, PhD

by Visitor bakersj
on ‎10-15-2014 01:22 PM

Dhruba B Thapa,

Thank you for your inquiry. Our protocol is to work with you on any inquiry related to gas or diesel generator sets suitable for your site application through the local Caterpillar dealer who services your geographical location. If you would be interested in emailing us at our customer email inbox for genset sizing inquiries, specsizersupport@cat.com, I can better assist you with services Caterpillar and Caterpillar dealer can offer for power supply, based upon your inquiry.

Announcements
Help us grow the Caterpillar Community: Invite a Friend

Meet Our Bloggers