Microgrid 101

by Regular Contributor on ‎10-03-2016 09:00 AM

Chad Header.jpg

Microgrids are a current hot topic in the power generation industry.   It feels like you cannot go more than a couple of days without seeing another article on microgrids.  And no wonder – a recent Greentech Media report states that the US installed microgrid capacity is expected to grow 115% and reach 4.3GW over the next five years.   Outside of the US there is a lot of talk around rural electrification in developing regions – bringing power to remote communities with combinations of clean solar and energy storage to power villages that currently have no power.

But what is a microgrid?   There are a number of varying definitions for what a microgrid is.  But there are a couple of points that all of the definitions agree on:

1. It is a small scale installation with definable boundaries
  2. It can generate its own power
  3. It can operate either connected to a utility grid or isolated from the utility grid.

But why all the buzz now?  Microgrids are not new - Caterpillar has been providing diesel and gas generator sets to microgrids for decades.  What has changed is the emergence of cost effective renewable energy sources, such as photovoltaics (PV) and wind.   This has effectively made renewable powered microgrids a financially attractive alternative to more traditional generation.   Add to this the advances in cost effective energy storage and you can have a reliable system that produces energy at very low costs.  This has driven the interest in then “new” microgrid systems.  

Join me at 2pm (Eastern) on Tuesday, October 11, for a webinar where I will discuss microgrids in further detail. You can register here.

Topics include:

• Microgrid definition & key market drivers
  • Comparison of PV technologies
  • Discussion of current energy storage options
  • Considerations when specifying microgrids
  • Common industry tools
  • Microgrid case study

What has been your experience with microgrids?

What questions do you have on microgrids?

What are some additional topics you would like to cover in the upcoming webinar?

Comments
by Susan Lara
on ‎10-19-2016 09:26 AM

Few years back many power plants were shut down. The economic conditions and the cost of production led to this decision. But, with the microgrid concept I am sure we wont face any big shut downs in future. Small shut downs within the microgirds wont have any major impact on the system. This article thus, is promoting the stuff, which is need of the hour. 

by New member OBUMNEME
on ‎10-31-2016 06:13 AM

Yes need of the hour especially Africa , we have huge need of this design, it will go a long away in bringing hope to Business.

diesel_dude wrote:

Chad Header.jpg

Microgrids are a current hot topic in the power generation industry.   It feels like you cannot go more than a couple of days without seeing another article on microgrids.  And no wonder – a recent Greentech Media report states that the US installed microgrid capacity is expected to grow 115% and reach 4.3GW over the next five years.   Outside of the US there is a lot of talk around rural electrification in developing regions – bringing power to remote communities with combinations of clean solar and energy storage to power villages that currently have no power.

But what is a microgrid?   There are a number of varying definitions for what a microgrid is.  But there are a couple of points that all of the definitions agree on:

1. It is a small scale installation with definable boundaries
  2. It can generate its own power
  3. It can operate either connected to a utility grid or isolated from the utility grid.

But why all the buzz now?  Microgrids are not new - Caterpillar has been providing diesel and gas generator sets to microgrids for decades.  What has changed is the emergence of cost effective renewable energy sources, such as photovoltaics (PV) and wind.   This has effectively made renewable powered microgrids a financially attractive alternative to more traditional generation.   Add to this the advances in cost effective energy storage and you can have a reliable system that produces energy at very low costs.  This has driven the interest in then “new” microgrid systems.  

Join me at 2pm (Eastern) on Tuesday, October 11, for a webinar where I will discuss microgrids in further detail. You can register here.

Topics include:

• Microgrid definition & key market drivers
  • Comparison of PV technologies
  • Discussion of current energy storage options
  • Considerations when specifying microgrids
  • Common industry tools
  • Microgrid case study

What has been your experience with microgrids?

What questions do you have on microgrids?

What are some additional topics you would like to cover in the upcoming webinar?

by New member suzukianu
on ‎01-23-2017 06:08 AM

Microgrids..!! very important thing to be understanded. i got a deatiled idea about this. It is a small scale installation with definable boundaries. as a owner of suzuki access 125 i really enjoyed this.

Announcements
Help us grow the Caterpillar Community: Invite a Friend

Meet Our Bloggers