Super Contributor

Re: Effect of prolonged low load running - Caterpillar Marine Propulsion Engine

Take a look at this link, http://forums.cat.com/t5/BLOG-Power-Perspectives/The-Impact-of-Generator-Set-Underloading/bc-p/74288...

While there may some minor differences, the problems affecting generator sets underloading is very similar to marine engines.

In general, the newer the engine and the higher its rating, the more likely it is to be negatively affected by prolonged periods of under-loading. Problems typically are "slobber", turbo loading and subsequent imbalance that may lead to failure, buildup in exhaust systems that can cause performance problems and in extreme cases can cause a fire (dry exhausts). I recently worked with a customer who was cited by the Coast Guard for excessive exhaust soot leaving a "sheen" on the water.

MikeL

Trusted Contributor

Re: Effect of prolonged low load running - Caterpillar Marine Propulsion Engine

Since the engine is E rated, it shouldnt be used at full power at all times.

But running all the time at low loads will cause the oil to deteriorate faster.

cause the oil temperature doesnt comes up to a point where condensation is boiled off.

The engine internally will foul more, more carbon buildup on valves, pistons, exhaust system.

the enigne should be ideally used at full power at least 30-60 minutes every trip.

Oil and filters should be changed yearly disregard of runninghours.

Contributor

Effect of prolonged low load running - Caterpillar Marine Propulsion Engine

Hi, One of my user is running his boats only 250 Hrs annually at below 50% load for almost 6 years. The engine is C7 ACERT E Rating. I need to know the effect of this wrong operation on the engines.