Products
Applications
Parts & Service
Rental
News & Events
About The Company
rodneyb

c9 injector failure

i have been working on a c9 gen set. for some reason its been failing injectors cannot figure out the problem. also when will they offer reman injectors

Contributor
JAAS

Re: c9 injector failure

Hi:

I am not used to genset , but the engine I know it well.  Electronics injectors need ET to perform a cylinder cutoff test , solenoid test , even a wiggle test will help , many times is not and injector , if you have access to connect ET to the engine I could help you, if you don't will be much difficult . Injector drive voltage could be high depending on serial , and when we disconnect one of it the ECM correct the lost of power with the other that kept working . ET uses high sensitive measurement software to detect electronic fuel rack adjustment made by the ECM in order to keep the rpm stable , by that meaning the software recognize the faulty cylinder , not injector , still could be low compression rated , wiring . One's you think you find the faulty injector is recommended by CAT to change place with a good performing injector , to make sure the faulty cylinder follows the suspected injector before to buy a new one. 

Contributor
Jevlar

It can be your injector heui pump that is failing and sending metal particles into your injectors, a very common problem on C7/9 engines and there are several Service letters out on the topic.

check your engines serial.

amer_27606
Topics: 0
Kudos: 6
Solutions: 2

Hello rodneyb,

Have you done the leak-off test?  This test will check for the propriety of the mechanical part of the injector operation.  However, the cylinder cut-off test is only verifying if the electrical circuit of a specific injector is connected or functioning properly.  If you did the cut-off test, I would suggest you should do the leak-off one.

In general, 75% - 85% of system components failures are caused by contamination.  So, I would also suggest that you should follow the recommended maintenance intervals for the fuel system.  This system is very sensitive to contamination which may fail the fuel injector.

GO CONTAMINATION CONTROL!

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

amer_27606 

Visitor
r080jsgo

I would suggest check your engine installation first how the fuel is distribute to the engine, first look at your fuel tank, and lines, for inusual pressure, some times static pressure damage the injectors, as well a bad quality of fuel, you can find it in you filters...cut them when you have to maintain the engine. Then, once you see al are fine... look at the ECM, and test the injectors... once you done it... ... check the injectors for damages in the body... 

Have you taken an sos sample?, that's one of the principal toold that you have to use... how are the fluid levels?... dilution existed?...

the reman injectores how many hours of service have been working? 

njc1979
Kudos: 8
Solutions: 10

I agree with contamination control comments.  Take a fuel sample and see what type of contamination your dealing with.  Trace the path from the fuel tank to the injectors, should be a short list.  Also, there were HEUI service letters for certain models as well.  Verify your serial number has had all updates with a CAT Dealer ASAP.  From what your saying, it appears the injectors are the result of the damage, not the cause.

wanderer

I have two C9 acerts on my boat with 700 hours on each.  The injectors on the STBD engine just failed on #4 and #5 cylinders.  The local CAT tech replaced these and immediately the injectors on #1 and #2 failed (before we even left the dock.).  We swapped the new #5 injector with the bad #2,  and the problem followed  to #5,  so we decided that it was not the wiring or computer.

Was there a bad batch of injectors on C9s around s/n 500?   Any other thoughts?

njc1979
Kudos: 8
Solutions: 10

There is most likely no correlation with GENSET vs MARINE applications- the RPM Ranges, HP settings, fuel trim codes and part numbers would most likely be different.  Applications are not the same and yes, that does make a difference.

FuelGuy

First let me say that I am a retired US Coast Guard Naval Engineer and have worked in the marine diesel industry since 1971, both military and civilian. What amer is getting at here is in most cases the root cause of the problem. Elsewhere in this thread someone stated that the marine engines, and generators don't have much in common. Au contra-ire, They share more than most people now. 

In the work that I do, I see contaminated fuel nearly every day. A boat that is nothing more than a dock ornament sits for months at a time without ever moving. Condensation builds in the tanks, that creates bacterial sludge in the tank over time. The same exact thing happens to a generator that sits ideal waiting for the next major outage. It may be run for the 20 minutes each week that the EPA allows and nothing more. Never burning more that a few gallons per year. The process is the same.

If you research the web a little you can find or I can provide to you, articles by all of the major fuel companies stating that the self life of #2 diesel fuel is 3-6 months, Biodiesel is even less. The fuel starts to oxidize (the dark brown color you see), condensation builds in the tank from the cyclic heating and cooling of the tank between the day and night. This Breathing if you will, draws in moist night air that is laden with bacteria, mold, spores, etc.... into the tank. Some of these bacteria live in the water, feed on the fuel. The go thru their life cycles and die falling to the bottom of the tank. ALA Sludge. 

What I'm getting at is you MUST maintain your fuel. Very few people do and end up replacing injectors, pumps, and in some cases having complete engine failures. It's like the old Frame commercial said, "Pay me now or pay me later"

FInd a good fuel polishing service and have your fuel done twice per year or better yet purchase and install a dedicated unit that will run on schedule. This will keep all of the water out, clean out all of the oxidized PM Particulate Matter, and help to keep the fuel ready for service. If you engine manufacturer allows you can add Cetane boosters to help keep the fuel at nothing below minimum number required by the manufacturer. 

Visitor
marjam

I think oil leaking into the injector harness connector is shortning out the injector coil