Contributor

Re: 3196 new Caterpillar thermostat

Thank you
The temperatures have been steady, i will continue with the scheduled maintenance and will continue using it as always.
Again thank you
Alejandro
Super Contributor

The correct temp regulator for 3196 is 2477133 or 4184162. These both have a fully open temp of 98C (208F). Normal temp is 200-205. High coolant temp alarm trips at 217F and very high coolant alarm at 223F.
Contributor

If there is no perfect answer for the question above. Please. What would be the optimum running temperature for the 3196 marine engines at cruise and the high temperature threshold
Thank you
Or where can i find this information?
Highlighted
Contributor
Accepted Solution

3196 new Caterpillar thermostat

Hi, I have marine 3196. 1999 at 2000 hrs i decided to change some parts that may fail. New thermostatS for the 3196 have been changed to higher temperature ones with different part numbers. My engines used to run at 199 port and 201 starboard consistently at cruise. With the new thermostats now 203 port and 205 starboard. I was told they were changed because at higher temperature,,, more efficient. Is this true? Is this increase in temp better or worse for my engines. I will gladly pit the old ones back. But Caterpillar has made good changes and if this is a good one I will keep the new thermostat. My engines now expell some white smoke( vapor). I chamged one to the old one and no white smoke Recenly changed i both new model thermostat and white ( vapor) smoke again. I just want to do the right thing.
Thank you
Alejandro Porrata