Regular Contributor

Re: 3306 high oil pressure

Thanks
Getting to go Fishing is definitely a must!
Highlighted
Contributor

Hi GHarms09,the relief valve is about 4 cupped washers 2 one way 2 the other way with a nut 2 tighten them up more you tighten the higher the pressure ,when set they crimp the nut so it carn't turn .I didnt have time 2 take it back 2 the cat dealer so i did the ajustment myself .The Kiwi way and i wanted 2 go fishing 4 for our long weekend.Cheers

Regular Contributor

How did you adjust the relief valve? We usually just replace it as being faulty. Not really that familiar with 3300 oil pressure reliefs as they look none adjustable and sealed units
Contributor

Hi GHarms09, I have 2 gauges in the last 2 plugs of the main oil gallery under the oil filler and one in the back of the block as you mentioned and all read much the same .Cheers

Regular Contributor

Where were you taking pressure from on the engine? Main oil gallery is the best place or at the back of the block. If your taking it right at the oil pump outlet (front left lower corner) you will see 100+psi
Contributor

Solved my high oil pressure problem the new pressure relief valve was set far to high so i reset it myself now the oil pressure is 80psi cold and 60 hot.Cheers

Contributor

Hi Dave the oil pump was replaced with a new one with relief valve when i rebuilt the engine .The part number of the valve i just replaced is 4N8385 .The engine runs and sounds ok just been out fishing good day but only run the engine 1200 rpm hopefully i'm not doing any damage

Super Contributor

What is the part number of the relief valve that was installed? Was the oil pump replaced?
Contributor
Accepted Solution

3306 high oil pressure

I have a 3306 non turbo out of a d5 in my boat ,its always had high oil pressure after a rebuild 65-70 psi when up to temp.Its done 750 hrs now and the electric oil pressure gauge would intermittently go off the gauge 150 psi then after dropping to idle pressure would drop back.I replaced oil pump relief valve but now it is worse it stays on 150psi even when hot only dropping to 60-80 psi on idle to 900 rpm,when increasing rpm above that oil pressure instantly goes to 150 psi.I now have one electric gauge ,and two machanical gauges and they all read the same.Is old and new relief valve faulty any ideas would be appreciated.Cheers