Applications
Parts & Service
Rental
News & Events
About The Company
maxxxon

Cat Electronic engines

Hi to everyone in the forum,

I encounter some electronic problem while overhauling my 3512B. Is there any way i can purchase the software to detect where the fault is and reset the Electronic control module upon completion of the overhaul?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Maxxxon.

det
Contributor
det

Re: Cat Electronic engines

It sounds like you need CAT ET, which is used by technicians to deal with startup and diagnosis applications. Last I heard a laptop license is about $1000/year and should be available from your local CAT dealer. For more permanent installation for complete performance and maintenance monitoring, including Fault Code support, take a look at www.monicoinc.com.
Contributor
pwareham

[ Edited ]

Maxxxon,

If you want to install a retrofit controller that monitors and displays the Diagnostic Trouble Codes, that might do the trick.  You could take a look at: http://www.dynagen.ca/products/GSC400.htm for example.

Cheers. 

Message Edited by pwareham on 07-12-2009 03:10 PM
Paul Wareham, P.Eng.
DynaGen Technologies Inc
Your Partner for Power Control Solutions
det
Contributor
det

Maxxon:

THe product suggested to you is for Genset controllers using J1939. However, most of the time, CAT engines only have a rudimentary J1939 output and do not support the DM1 and DM2. For your purposes, CAT ET is the only safe answer. There are some CAT engines that fully support J1939 fault codes, but there are not very many.

Contributor
Tommy

Hi Maxxxon,

I agree on det's comment on the CAT ET, we shall be careful on selecting a tool which will costs us around $1000. And at this situation, i would rather approach a CAT people and find more details.

There are many other tools which can be used as troubleshooting tools, but may not functioning on every engine model.

piece of thought, hope it helps.

rgds, tommy

Contributor
pwareham

Det:

I agree that CAT engines don't seem to support as much "industry standard" J1939 as compared to some other engine vendors.  Its common that some engine vendors, including CAT, package a lot of information into proprietary CANbus message.  

Does the CAT ET tool plug into the CANbus port or into the Modbus port?

Paul Wareham, P.Eng.
DynaGen Technologies Inc
Your Partner for Power Control Solutions
Cat Dealer

ET connects to the engine ECM using CDL and the EMCP3 using J1939.
det
Contributor
det

Depending on the engine, it may or may not have J1939 at all. However, the way CAT ET works is it will try to connect to whatever data links are in place. It will try CDL first then J1939. As far as EMCP3 diesel gensets goes, the CAT dealer is correct.

What is the application on your 3512B?

Cat Dealer
arkadiy

In case you still have a problem with your ECM, let me know. Cos I have one new and might be able to program it for your application.

It could be cost effective to ask a dialer for error code rather than buy ET+Adaptor

Visitor
achillard

Hello Tommy .I have done the Cut-off test on the Cat 3516B engines. When I do the 12 Cylinders test, it shows which injector is NOT OK. But with the 1 Cylinder test, it shows only the times. How to know from the 1 cylinder test which injestor is damaged.

Regards

Achille