Re: D330TA Marine Engine

Just like say hi to everyone out there I am in need of a alternator bracket for a cat 333 marine engine mine was stolen and I'd love to find one to replace it if anybody can help please let me know 

Contributor

I love old engines and have a 1951 Case farm tractor that still gets the work done. 

Search youtube, there is a vid I put up showing a D330 installed in a wooden sailboat I did a coolant flush on last year, and re sealed the governor. The gaskets were availible. Tons of old D330's and D333's (the 3306 predecesor) in graders and dozers. Parts can be found, but marine specific stuff may be hard to come by. 

I rebuilt a D343 a couple years back, it had bad corrosion from bad coolant around the cylinder deck surface by the water grommets. We used Belzona super metal (epoxy) to re surface the openings as a salage repair, we found a good used block but the owner of the yacht did not want a hole cut in it to extract the block.   

I have a cat D330 turbo (not sure about the TA since the A signifies aftercooled and I don't think these are aftercooled).  It is a 7 liter 4 cylinder engine that produces about 125 HP in the continuous duty mode at about 2000 RPM.  Mine is in a 50ft trawler and I run it at 1633 RPM which translates to about 8 knots in calm water. I burn a little over 3 GPH at this speed.   I've owned the boat since 1989 and have logged about 1600 to 2000 miles on the boat each year since 2001.  The engine now has about 6000 hours on it and it still runs beautifully.  Many of the mechanics claim it is one of the best engines Cat ever produced.  I have not had to purchase many parts (PTO pully , starter, injectors and raw water pump) and have not had any problems acquiring them.  This engine has a long life between major overhauls if properly maintained.  It may need a head & valve job at about 10,000 hours.  I have an engine spec sheet I could send to you if you are still interested.

Contributor

Dear Catmancampbell

Thank you so much for passing on your knowledge of the D330TA. My apologies for not getting back to you earlier as I have been on holidays to the Gold Coast .....looking at among other things that are in abundance there...accommodation options for retirement living... albeit lift seviced self contained strata title at this stage! 

The mystery is solved....I was beginning to think that the theory on eating from aluminium saucepans might have knocked out the remaining living memories of the D330TA ! The history of this boat and motor is quite significant in that the famous marine architect Art Defever installed the D330TA in the boat new, in about the mid sixties, which was designed by him and built for his personal use. To get her home she has to cross the notorious Bass Strait after being shipped to the East Coast of Aust.for about a total of 2000 nautical miles on her own bottom from the final port destination ....hence my concern! She might run forever...but how long is a piece of string?

As you indicate a replacement is the logical option. Now that I know the rating is 120hp at 2000rpm the option of a similar powered Ford....I could just about hear the cries of disbelief from this site when I said that....but is there another suitable and economical repower that can be undertaken while she is in the US...John Deere...Cummins....Or... would a modern Cat be available as the simplest replacement particularly if the same shaft angle and existing bed could be utilised? Is an electronic diesel the go and would it run more economically than the antique D330TD? 

This new scenario should now remove the bulk of reliance from the nursing home fraternity! Thanks again Catmancambell...I knew you were out there somewhere!

Cat Dealer
Dealer

I decided to reply to prove that not all the people who remember the D-330M are dead or in nursing home's

In its day they were a very reliable engine.

Example; D-330  Marine Turbocharged / Aftercooled, S/N range 86B131-Up Intermittent rating of a heaping 145 Hp @ 2200 RPM's using a raw water aftercooler.

Its continuous rating was 120 Hp @ 2000 RPM's using a raw water aftercooler, a jacket fed aftercooler gave you 110 Hp @ 2000 RPM's.

Some people thought they had oil injected into the fuel system for two reasons. Some used an external tube to feed the governor engine oil, and Cat made a shut-down that used engine oil fed by a tube to the Back of the governor. You had to hold a lever to start the engine until oil pressure rose and held itself open.

Parts are getting harder to get , depends what you need. As for reliable, you are starting with an engine at minimum is 35 Plus years old. You made mention of 2000 hours on it, is that since last overhaul? Are total running hours on the block in the ten or hundred thousands hours? Probably qualifies in the antique engine shows now. Only you can decide on reliability vs.. Replacement vs.. Cost, if you see where I am heading.

Now if you have a D-3400 or D-13000 / D-17000, they actually did have there own oil in the pumpcases along with there own dipsticks to check the level.

Now excuses me while I shuffle back to the nursing home.        

Contributor

Thanks bobsboatshop!

The only questions that remain are (a) is the 330 as reliable as the engine that superceded it ? (b) is the fuel efficiency comparable re. precombustion chamber set up? (c) are parts still available? (d) How many HP does the 330 produce at ???? revs?...... I might be asking too much already and excuse my ignorance but,..... (e) with what I understand to be a provision for a seperate oil reservoir/reserve is it designed to and if so does it use much oil? Thanks again for your help.

Best regards

Darryl

I was Product Support Manager for Michigan CAT's engine division for 15 years, so hear goes...the D330 was the early version of the 3304...visually they are very similar. As far as your query re the lubrication system involved in the combustion process, there is no link...the only thing I can think of that might be what you are asking is, virtually all earlier CAT engines utilized a PC (pre-combustion) fuel system...fuel was injected into a pre-combustion chamber prior to being atomized in the combustion chamber...
Cat Dealer
Dealer

Dear Darryl,

I just learned that the D330 was the predecessor of the 3304, go to http://marine.cat.com/.propulsion/legacy and see what you can find there.

Best regards, Anne W

Contributor

HI Anne Thank you for your reply.No wonder nobody in Aust. knows anything about the engine. Looking back on what was available in Aust. at around the same time it would have seemed like something from outer space here in the early 60's with an after cooled turbo...but then again man made it to the moon not long after! I suppose technology hasn't changed that much since then.

We have a boat in the Maritime Museum in Sydney that a guy called Worbey built in his suburban backyard around that time that still holds the world record for speed over water. He used an ex Navy jet engine so there has either been little advance in power output or there has been a decline in courage/stupidity levels since that time because the record still stands today!

Would you or anybody have an idea of the  Max HP of either the D330TA or its later version the in 3300 series as I have been quoted fuel consumption of between 5 to 9 gallons an hour which seems a bit rich for a displacement speed unless you have to get it screaming to produce the torque to keep the boat moving!

Thanks again...I think the problem might be that the people that know about this engine are probably in nursing homes by now, not E world proficient or six feet under! 

Best regards

Darryl 

Contributor