Highlighted
Contributor

Re: GENERAL OVERHAUL OF CAT 3412

thanks syahrir,

the cylinderhead replaced using Reman part, roocker arm and rocker shaft repalce new part,..

the con rod, bolt, piston kit  will be replaced with new part,

so far crankshaft measurement result is good, no bend, no scratch,..etc.. and considered to re-use again,

thanks

Contributor

Re: GENERAL OVERHAUL OF CAT 3412

Dear Dwi,
CMIIW, Caterpillar divide engine parts into 3 categories:
1. Level 1, should replace during overhaul i.e. Valves, guides, valve inserts, piston rings, gaskets, seals, etc.
2. Level 2, replace if necessary, if test and other physical measurement indicates parts worn-out/bend/chipper, etc. i.e Piston, pumps.
3. Level 3, shouldn't replace entire engine life (if operated normally and well-maintained), i.e cyl block, head, and crankshaft, con-rods.

IMO, if visual inspections and measurement test result (bend, worn out, roundness of the journals, hardness, profiles, and surface finish) indicates crankshafts normal, no reason to replace the part. Thank you.
Contributor
Accepted Solution

GENERAL OVERHAUL OF CAT 3412

dear all,

we are planning for overhaul of CAT 3412, engine serial number is 60m0500, i saw the engne test result that this engine mfg in year 1996, .... hehe this is realy old engine,....we recommended to change almost engine part, after overhaul the customer want to run this engine at 2000 rpm,

but the customer will not change the crankshaft, 

the quetion is....if found good measurement and surface of the bearing journal, will this crankshaft re-use???

pls help

thanks