Highlighted

Re: Main Engine 9M32C HIGH EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURES

I have 3 vessels fitted with 9M32C engine. All having high exht temp at around 500 Deg. Is this a common problem. Any of this engine is fitted with other TC than Napier 357.

Rgds

Visitor

Re: Main Engine 6M32C HIGH EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURES

Roberto

I was involved in the change in Costa Rica and it was not for the problems you are experiencing. It also involved having the original units serviced by a non authorized service centre using non original parts.

The first point is to establish if the turbocharger build fitted is the correct one for your application. For this I would require the serial number of the engine and turbocharger. The NA297 for the 6M32C was matched in Kiel many years ago at the end of the nineties with a large number being sold. The engines were matched to achieve 110% load without exceeding the exhaust limits. Hence the experience of melted valves and cracked liners are not a common issue and therefore indicates there is a problem somewhere with the system.

Please advise who serviced the turbocharger and what was changed during the service.

So there is no confusion I work for Napier Turbochargers in the UK and if you want to move this further please contact me through here or direct on steven.hudson@napier-turbochargers.com.

Steven Hudson
Business Development Manager
Napier Turbochargers Ltd
Tel: +44 (0)1522 516631
Cell: +44 (0)7912 515733
Fax: +44 (0)1522 516669
Email : steven.hudson@napier-turbochargers.com
Web site: www.napier-turbochargers.com
Dropbox : https://ft.wabtec.com/dropbox/shudson@wabtec.com

Trusted Contributor

It is a known problem, same with the Cat 3600 series with Napier blowers.

The turbos have a very high end pressure, but spooling up is a disaster.

50 to 80kPa at 600rpm(smoking like hell) and then if you continue to 1000 RPM the pressure goes up to 320kPa(no smoke).

But first the exhaust temperatures go over 600C, and they smoke like hell.

This system works perfect if you use the engine only in a constant speed mode, combinator mode is depending on the propeller curve vs. the pressure diagram of the turbo.

Good luck

Contributor

Hi

Seen one low Nox ver. M32C with to erly inj. timing approx. 13°BTDC running up too 500°C at 50% engine load. 

correct inj. timing was approx. 6° BTDC

Dear Roberto

We have 4 motors 12CM32 C that have this turbo! and the truth has been a headache!, so in Costa Rica we made the shift from 297C Napier Turbo Chargers to NA307 on CAT ENGINE MAK CM32C 

Mak also recently offered us to make the change to two engines we have in Colombia with the same turbo for a TPS ABB . We have broken three unannounced ! That is the new generation, the problem with this is that there are a lot of adjustments!

With EKV085/86 NA307 Napier, almost that is removed and replaced! In Costa Rica and are working for more than 1 year without problem!

regards.

Main Engine 6M32C HIGH EXHAUST GAS TEMPERATURES

Good Afternoon Everybody
In our fleet we have a General Cargo Ship in which is mounted a Mak Main Engine Model 6M32C with a Turbo Charger Napier 297C .The Engine has a big problem with the Exhaust Gas. High Temperatures are a continuous problem who forces Chief Engineer to reduce the load to 40% and subsequent low speed of 8,5 knots . If the load is increased more than 40%, exhaust gas temperatures increase up to 500 °C . Turbocharger speed 11500 rpm / Charge Air Pressure 0,4 Bar.

1./ Turbocharger is recently overhauled.
2./ AIR Cooler is recently overhauled.
3./ Cylinder heads had been checked. Compression test has done with out any problem.
4./ Fuel Valves, Fuel Pumps had been tested and overhauled.
5./ Before we had the problem and we could resolved increasing very quick the loading obtaining a reasonable temperatures,not normal but at the limit.

I know that some other people in Mercahant Marine had the same problem.

COULD ANY BODY GIVE ME ASSISTANCE OR IDEAS TO RESOLVE THE PROBLEM OR HOW DO YOU RESOLVED ?

We bought this ship used and we found a lot of melting valves also cylinder heads and linners with temperature cracks so it is an old problem on this engine. I read in this community some others mail from engineer who has the same problem on 2011so I will like to know What did they do ?

Regards to everybody

Roberto Fuentes
Chief Engineer