Contributor

Re: 3600 Staying in prechamber mode after startup.

They are on the way.

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

ahunt36cat@aol.com

Contributor

Hello sir, Rather than writing everything down I just pulled a product status report ha ha it was easier. The last time it was stuck in PC cal I did try going through ET and forcing it into and out of PC cal and the result was the same it stayed there. I saved the product status reports as PDF's whats your email address and i'll send them to you if you dont mind sir.

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

The flash file is found in the ECM Summary screen using ET.  It will be called the software file or the personality module.

What versin of ET are you using?  That might be a contributor also.

What is your engine serial number?  That is ALWAYS important to know when discussing any Cat product issue.

What is the setting of the time delay interval for the exhaust temperature feedback that I mentioned?

One thing you might try is when the engine is locked in PC CAL, connect ET and select PC CAL mode and then exit PC CAL and see if it comes out.  The engine really needs to be out of PC CAL in order for the ECM to properly do its job of conrolling the air fuel ratio during fuel and other condition changes as the engine operates.  Being locked in PC CAL does not allow the ECM to be responsive to condtition changes.

Best Regards,

Al Hunt

Contributor

Thank you for your reply sir. Do I find the software version and flash file number through the advisor display or through et? In one instance I left the unit running overnight to see if it would correct itself and the next day it was still showing PC mode.

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

This could be a flash file issue.  Waht is the flash file number?  With v 2.0 core software, Cat added a timer to keep the eyetem in the exhaust temp feedback longer than normal when the engine load increased over 40%.  A load of 40% normally causes the engine to move to the combustion feedback mode but there is a timer slot in the configuration screen that delays this transition for the amount of time you enter into this slot in the configuration screen.  The early version of this software change displayed the operating mode as PC CAL even though it was ostensibly in the exhaust feedback mode.  After the timer interval has elapsed, the engine should go on into the combustion feedback mode and display this on the advisor display.

Best Regards,

Al Hunt

Contributor

3600 Staying in prechamber mode after startup.

Hello everyone, ive had this issue happen a few times to me over the past couple years but recently its happened three more times on two different engines. Upon repair of whatever failure caused the shutdown I start the engine back up and allow it to warm up, I always wait for jacket water to reach 160 deg. f. and compressor and engine oil temp to be at least 100 deg. f. before loading and three times now in the last month after i've finished loading the compressor 15 minutes or more pass and I noticed my FCF was holding at 100% which is a bit odd because usually they wander a bit after startup due to changing gas from the increase in pressure. Anyway I find the engine is stuck running in prechamber feedback mode at full speed with normal operating temps and 90% load or so. The last two times I just shut it back down and restarted and it switched to combustion feedback like normal, tonight when it happened I tried placing it in PC cal through ET and then exiting back out of PC cal to see if it would switch to combustion feedback and it wouldnt work so I wound just shutting it down and restarting and it switched to combusiton like normal. What causes this and is there a fix? Thanks for all the help guys!