Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Changing displayed hours G3608

Well I believe it is a new ECM, Holt cat did the overhaul on the swing engine but when I pulled the ECM configuration file from the old engine and ECM and dumped it into the new engine and ECM is when it changed the hours. There were two different options under that drop down in ET one was labeled "ECM replacement" and the other was labeled "ECM product replacement". I pulled them both and likewise I dumped them both into the new engine's ECM. I'm wondering with the way the wording is, that it's designed to replace just the ECM for use in the instance of a failed ECM so that way your hours etc transfer over. I wonder if there's another way to copy just the configuration and not the hours. Any ideas?
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Changing displayed hours G3608

This subject has come up before.  As far as I know, the accumulated hours in an ECM cannot be changed, even with a password.  It is somewhat akin to the odometer in an automobile, which we know is illegal to change.  Also it is like the serial number of the engine, which is stamped into the cylinder block of an engine or into the frame of a tractor.  It is forever.  The only way you could start over with a zero hour engine is to install a new ECM. 

I could be wrong here, if someone shows me differently, but I have researched this through Cat channels and, even with a factory password, I don't think you can change the hour reading in the ECM.

I think it woud be good if Cat had an alternate field that would allow a customer to keep the accumulated hours and also have a zero hour when the engine is rebuilt for a new life.  We all know that engines can be rebuilt more than once and do run through several rebuilds sometime.

Best Regards,

Al Hunt

Contributor

Changing displayed hours G3608

Hello everyone, we just recently completed an engine swing on one of my 3608's and before we pulled the old engine I used ET to copy the configuration file of the old ECM so as to reprogram the new ECM on the swing engine. The problem I have and its a small one, is that in doing this it also tranferred the old engine's run hours to new engine, so my new engine started life with "82,000 hours" ha ha. Not a big deal but it would be nice to zero the clock for easier record keeping from here on out. I tried changing the run hours directly through the ET and it wouldnt let me then I tried opening up the configuration file itself and chnaging it in there and it wouldnt allow it. Is there a way to go about changing the hours short of calling the dealer out to get them to do it?

Thanks!