Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: Engine oil to coolant diifferential temperature G3616

The G3516 4EK cooling system uses the JW coolant to cool the engine oil through the oil cooler.  From there the coolant enters the cylinder block, up through the cylinder heads, exit into the exhaust manifold back to the JW temp regulators.  If the JW water pump in working and the JW temp is 174F, then the engine oil temp should be lower than 199F, I think. 

Don't know where you are, the ambient temperature or altitude, how much load does the engine have.  I would look at the cooler in and out temps and pressures.  This will give you an idea of JW coolant flow.  What is the JW temp differential across the oil cooler?  What is the JW temp engine out and JW inlet?  These bits of data might help determine where to look for an issue?

Al Hunt

I have a 3516 4ek serious that is going down on E337(1) we have changed the oil temp sensor, coolant temp sensor, the regulators and it still went down. We finally changed the oil cooler and it ran fine for 3 weeks until today it went down again on the same code and coolant temp is at 174 and oil temp is at 199 any suggestions where out of ideas? Thanks for your time
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

While there are no differences in the engines with the different ratings from a component standpoint (pistons, heads, turbos, etc., we have already seen the difference in the SCAC temp regulators.  The other thing that is different is the flash file must match the SCAC temp regulator value in order to achieve the higher horsepower rating.  Additionally, I would expect that the cooler (jJW and SCAC sections and even the gas cooler sections) do not have sufficient capacity to take care of the extra heat that would be generated at the higher horsepower.

So the short answer is that you can't just change the temp regulators and get the higher horsepower.  There is more to it than that.

Best Regards,

Al Hunt

Contributor

[ Edited ]

One more question, please. We have an engine with rating 54C (serial number BLB621) and two engines with rating 43C (BLB628, BLB629). They work in the equal conditions. Can we use regulators for the engine BLB621 with part number 283-7776 instead of 204-6708 to increase the potential horsepower?

Contributor

Thank you for information!

We'll try to find out what is wrong, the results I will post here.

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

The engine serial indicates that this G3616 was built with the 43C/110F rating.

The temperature regulator part numbers are correct for this engine.  I was particularly concerned to be sure you had the correct part number regulator in the SCAC and you do for the rating.

The SCAC temperatures determine the horsepower rating of a Cat gas engine.  The usual rating in gas compression is 54C/130F.  This is because in most places the SCAC is cooled by a fan cooler and the ambient temperature conditions will not permit you to achieve a SCAC coolant temperature cooler than 54C/130F.  So the horsepower is limited basically limited by the inlet air temperature which is controlled by the SCAC coolant.  If the inlet manifold air temperature gets too hot, the engine will experience detonation because the combustion temperature is too hot.

As the ambient temperature conditions allow the cooler to be sized to cool the SCAC coolant lower, installing a cooler temperature regulator will keep the inlet manifold air temperature cooler so the engine can make more horsepower before experiencing detonation.

So you have the hottest (54C/130F) down to the cooler 43C/110F) which you have, and then the coolest (32C/90F), which allows the engine to make the highest horsepower rating.  Your G3616 with the 43C/110F rating is 4890 hp@1000 rpm.

So now, I am beginning to think that your SCAC cooler section is not quite large enough.  It should be a two pass section, with more than twice the size of the jw cooler section, which is normally a single pass cooler.  So from what I know now, from the information you have supplied, I would be looking at the performance of the SCAC section in the cooler, the coolant pressures in and out, the coolant temperatures in and out.  I would check these values both at the engine and at the cooler.  This should begin to give you some idea of the section performance.  I would expect to see about 200 kPa(25-30 psi across the cooler coolant pressure.  The temperature differential should be about 8.8C(15 deg F).  This should give you something to look for.  Good luck.

Best Regards,

Al Hunt

Contributor

The serial number of the engine is BLB862, the packager - Exterran.

Part numbers of regulators we use:

Jacket water 418-4163 

Aux water 283-7776 

Oil 4w-4011 

Could you explain me, please, what is the difference between the ratings (SCAC temp 32, 43, 54)? The rating depends on the constructional features of aftercooler?

Thanks

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

One thing I forgot to ask you.  What is the serial number of your G3616?  Who was the packager?  Thanks.

Best Regards,

Al Hunt

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

The numbers that you give for the engine systems temperature don't seem right for the 54 deg C rating.  What rating is the engine?  Could it be a 43 deg C rating?  The inlet manifold air temps warning and shutdown values are the values for the 43 deg C rating. This could answer some questions. 

What p/n number temp regulators did you install in the aux cooling?  in the JW cooling?  Perhaps you installed the incorrect temp rating regulators in one or both cooling systems.  That is why I ask for the part numbers you installed?  Thanks.

Best Regards,

Al Hunt

Contributor

We are located in the forest in west siberia (Russia), altitude is about 100 metres. Each engine (with the compressor) is in its own building. The temperature inside is a little bit warmer than outside.

The maximum outside temperature during the day is 30° C, in this case the JW temperature reaches 84° C, oil temperature 87° C, inlet manifold air temperature stays at the rate of 63 - 65° C (trip points are 65° C for warning and 68° C for shutdown).

The cooler has 3 circuits: JW, Auxilliary water (for cooling the inlet manifold air and oil) and compressed gas of the 1st stage. It has automatic louvers and 3 fans. Louvers are always open and all fans are running.