Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: G 3612 ignition failed

You said that you had a bad buffer and replaced it on cyl. 3.  Did you have the cyl 3 code 503-09 also with 505-09, 507-09, and 511-09 Ignition Failed?  If you had this condition, then it is likely that the buffer on cyl. 5 might be bad.  In this vintage G3612, I believe the buffers were wired in what Cat called a "daisy chain".  That means that if a buffer failed, then the rest of the buffers in that chain would also "fail" or show the fault code 5xx-09.  So now if the cyl 5 buffer is bad, then the rest of the odd bank cyl will also show the 5xx-09 code.

The other thing to remember is that the engine will run with one 5xx-09 fault code, not flashing.  If a second 5xx-09 occurs while the first one is still active, then the engine will shut down and the second 5xx-09 will be flashing.  The engine will not run with more than one 5xx-09; a second one will cause the engine to stop.

Do you have the Troubleshooting Manual SENR6510-05?  This is the latest (and last) troubleshooting manual for the ESS.  Do not use the -04 version; it has lots of mistakes in it?

Best Regards,

Al Hunt

Contributor

The serial number is 1YG00192, it is an ESS with a CIS ignition system ( Altronic ) mounted at the rear of the engine, right bank.
Thank you!!
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Ii need to know which engine this is.  Is this an old ESS engine with a magneto?  Does it have the CIS ignition on it; no magneto but a small ignition box on the ritght rear upper side of the engine.  What is the serial number?  I will need this infomation to better respond to your problem.  Thanks.

Best Regards,

Al Hunt

Contributor

G 3612 ignition failed

I am currently troubleshooting a G3612 generator engine. The engine starts normally up to 900 Roms and then shuts down on the following fault codes, 505-09, 507-09 , 509-09, and 511-09. Ignition failed. I had a shorted combustion buffer on cylinder number three. I replaced it and now have the faults mentioned above. Every time I start the engine it's always the same cylinders with the failed ignition faults. Any help would be awesome. Thanks you