Highlighted
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: G 3612 ignition failed

You could also have a problem with not having a good ground for the negative wires to the transformers.  Take a look at the 3/8" bolt on the right front of the engine where all the negative wires from the transformers come out to something that looks like a battery ground lug.  This lug is on that 3/8" bolt on the block just below the front cylinder head.  If that lug doesn't have a good connection to all the wires, the ignition for all the bad connections won't fire.  I have had to unsolder that lug, clean it up and resolder all the wires back into the lug.

Best Regards,

Al Hunt

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Re: G 3612 ignition failed

Yes, you could still have a bad buffer on cyl 5 since that is the first cyl in the fault code chain.  In stead of buying a new buffer, I would swap the buffer on #5 with the buffer on #11.  I am thinking that the #5 buffer is bad so by putting it last in the series, the rest of the odd bank should fire, with #11 cyl only showing the fault 511-09.  If this works, then replace the #11 buffer with a new one and you should be problem solved.

Also remember that the firing signal going back to the ECM for #1 is by itself as a reference.  The signal for all the other cyl return to the ECM on the other signal firing circuit.

Best Regards,

Al Hunt

Contributor

G 3612 ignition failed

Al, the very first fault that occurred was a 501-12. ( Cylinder number one no ignition signal ).I troubleshot that and found the bad combustion buffer on cylinder three. The fuse for wire 508 that is the common feed wire to the terminal box on the right bank was blown. There was a direct short to ground from wire 508 to ground. I began to remove one wire at a time from the terminal strip and found when I removed the wire from cylinder three there was no short. I then connected a known good buffer to cylinder three and the short was gone. I reassembled the engine, started it and then that is when I had faults 505-09, 507-09, 509-09, and 511-09. And yes one of the 09 faults flashes and the other doesn't. Do you still think it could be another combustion buffer??