Highlighted
Contributor

Re: G 3612 ignition failed

Yes I work for Ransome Cat, I can down load info from sis.
Thank you
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Do you work for a Cat dealer or an independent?  Doesn't matter; I will still help you.  It would just help me understand what your resources are.  Do you have G3600 Troubleshooting Manual SENR6510-05? and schematic SENR5082-01?  These are the latest manuals and these are the pubs that apply to your engine serial number.

Best Regards,

Al Hunt

Contributor

P.S I do have a CIS reader, and there are no diagnostics present
Contributor

Hi All, I didn't mention in my last post but the customer had a spare ECM on site, I swapped the ECM out as well after moving the combustion buffers around and still have the issue.
I do have the detonation mixing control I replaced that module as well still the same issue.
I did not try to start the engine in PC cal mode during trouble shooting but I will try it in Monday though as well as checking the wires you suggested in your last post.
I am located in New Jersey.
Thank you!!
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Well, I do have a few other things to check.  Do you have the detonation mixing system on this engine?  That is a box on the lower left side of the engine jbox.  I am going to have to study the detonation mixing a bit since I haven't worked on this in a long while.

Have you tried to see if the engine will run in PC CAL?  This takes some of the ECM controls out of the picture.  I have seen a lot of engines running in PC CAL because they wouldn't run otherwise.

Check the wiring (S780 WH-GN) from T-d on right buffer terminal box & all end to end T902 in eng jbox to T272 in remote panel to J3-29 on ECM.  This is the signal back from the odd bank cylinders.

If you have a timing light with a line clamp, try finding the primary wire out of the CIS to the problem cyl and see if the CIS is really sending out a primary ignition voltage; check one of the good cyl too to verify same results on a good firing cyl.  It could be that the CIS module has failed.  Do you have a fault light blinking on the CIS box?  Do you have a CIS reader to see what the CIS is displaying?

Check the data link wiring from T 910 and T911 in the eng jbox.  These go into the detonation mixing box.

I probably should have said this first but your symptoms jumped past this.  Carefully inspect the primary wiring from the CIS box plug to the transformers.  Remove the conduit covers and look for chafed wiring, bare spots on insulation, etc.  You might could do this running also and move the wires around.  But be careful as this is over 100 volts with the engine running.

I don't have anything else right now.  I will take a look and make some more comments.  But you can check these out meanwhile.

By the way, where are you located?

Best Regards,

Al Hunt

Contributor

G 3612 ignition failed

Hi Al, I performed the troubleshooting you suggested today.
I verified all of the grounds on the coil wires and all ohmed out good. I also removed the ground luv from the cylinder block and it is also in tact. I then cleaned the block surface and reinstalled the ground luv.
Next I swapped all of the combustion buffers one at a time from the right bank to the left bank and started the engine after every swap out.
The 505, 507,509,and 511 faults reoccurred each time. Always just those four cylinders in a random order, sometimes just one or two with one or the other flashing. For example 509-09 flashing and 507-09, or just 511-09 flashing, etc...
Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!
Thank you,