New member PPS

Re: Help getting legacy D399 engine information

Thanks for that :)
Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

A bare D399 cylinder block will weigh approx 4100 lbs.

Best Regards,

Al Hunt

New member PPS

Hello,  

Would any of you guys have the weight of a D399 block, bare?

Thanks

Visitor

Hi Al,

Thank you very much for your prompt replay, please find the requested info below

BUILD YEAR 1979

FEADSHIP BUILD HULL NUMBER 621

ORDER NUMBER: PROJECT 7236

ENGINES- CATERPILLAR D399 1125HP X2, 839 HP

Main Engines serial numbers:

Port: 91B1038

STBD: 91B1037

There is not Caterpillar transmissions installed with these engines, instead they have Reintjes gearboxes.

I have been chasing up info about these engines all day, not much available though.

I would really appreciate any info.

Thank you very much for your time and assistance.

Speak to you soon.

M. Vejar

Company email:

macastillo@astillerosdemallorca.com

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

I will try to help you if I have the information.  Do you perhaps have an engine serial number or an arrangement number?  That might help.

Visitor

Dear Al Hunt,

I was just reading the post below. I am a Technical Manager for a big shipyard in Palma de Mallorca Spain and at the moment I am after information for the Caterpillar D399 engine mentioned in this post. I have a client with this engine but there is no info available, the vessel was built in The Netherlands back in 1979 and back then all documents were paper files and not digital ones.

It is proven difficult to get information about this engines. The installation arrangement needs new elasctic coupling between main engines and gearboxes and also the soft mount will be replaced by a new type. However, in order to calculate the TVA and 6DOF I need to obtain an installation drawing of this engine with its gravity centre and weight. Also I need to find the engine inertia moment of this engine as well as the flywhee, details with regards to the damper are also a much needed info.

I would appreciate if you can provide me with any information you may have, much appreciated.

My company email account is as follows:

macastillo@astillerosdemallorca.com

Thank you very much for your time and help and if you happen to be in Mallorca let me know and I will invite you for some "Spanish Tapas" and some excellent wine!.

Best Regards,

M. Vejar

Visitor

[ Edited ]

Hey Al,

Its a weekend here but I managed to log on and check both emails. I haven't received a set of drawings in both.

ronald.george@wascoenergy.com 

If it's a size issue for my mailbox, I'd also have you include ron.r.george@gmail.com in the list. 

Please try again. Cheers.

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Ron,

Check your email.  You should have a set of pdf images to view now.

Best Regards,

Al Hunt

Visitor

Al,

Thank you so much.

Now the issue a lot of resolution is lost when saving as a JPEG and viewing these. Do you think you could email a pdf set to me? "ronald.george at wascoenergy.com" or "ronald.george at asme.org" ... or you can even attach them here but I'm not sure if the system will allow.

Trusted Contributor
Trusted Contributor

Here is the drawing that I have for the D399 engine.  It should work for you.

Al Hunt

D399 Drawing-1.JPGD399 Drawing-2.JPGD399 Drawing-3.JPGStub Shaft Drawings.JPG