Employee

Re: Legacy engine specifications

Here is how you calculate oil consumption on a Cat engine.

Oil consumption in one hour =  engine load (HP)  X  load factor  X  BSOC (lb/bhp-hr)  divided by 7.5 (wt. of 1 gal. oil)

The load factor should be expressed in decimal form.  This will give you oil consumption in one hour.  Just multiply by 24 for oil consumption in a day.

Al Hunt

Contributor

I was not able to find the information you request in any of my publications.  The only specification I found regarding oil consumption is the BSOC formula which does not account for evaporation.  You might contact your local dealer or it may be in your interest to look at this:  NOACK Volatility Test (ASTM D-5800).

Darrel Fischer
Field Service Technician
Natural Gas Compression and Production

Greetings. I expect you are well.

I have a question and I wonder if it is possible that you can help!
I need to know which is the consumption of lubricating oil by evaporation in the gas engine G3500 series. The management model is the G3516. A colleague told methat WAUKESHA 5794 GSI engines lubricating oil consumption by the engineevaporacin is about 4 gal / day, according to the manufacturer.
That is why I want to know if you could give me that information, or that value.

Thank you very much.

I appreciate your help.

Contributor

I was able to obtain the GERP program and it does contain the information I require.  Furthermore, I was able to decompile the program and extract only the .pdf files and rename them so they reflect their content.  This has been more efficient for me since I do not require the engine selection portion.

Thanks,

Darrel.

Darrel Fischer
Field Service Technician
Trusted Contributor

Best bet is to compile a list of units your after with serial # and arrangement # if available.  I would contact a dealer parts dept and ask for the O & M manuals if they are still available.  If they are not, then you may be able to find them via Ebay and other online sources.  GERP software will most likely not assist you in your need for MARINE PROPULSION units.  

I would still consult with your local dealer and ask them to see what they can find for you this should either be available from SISWEB or media literature if they can still order the manuals depending on the vintage of the units.

Employee

Dfischbone wrote:

I would like to find information regarding horsepower ratings, firing order, and more regarding older cat engines.  If these data are not readily available online  I would like to engage the community to help me develop that here on this forum.  I know that such information is available for the diesel propulsion engines here:

http://marine.cat.com/propulsion/legacy

I would like to be able to have available similar information for the gas engines as well.

Darrel,Legacy Engine Performance information for gas compression engines (industrial or mechanical drive engines) is available public domain information.  It is yours by requesting Caterpillar's Gas Engine Rating Pro (GERP) software DVD.  It may be requested by going to the CatOil&Gas site:  http://catoilandgas.cat.com/industries/gas-compression.  Some Caterpillar dealerships may have GERP DVDs available upon request.  If you need an answer for a single engine the Dealership Engine Technical Communicator will likely have access to GERP and provide an answer. Here is the link to locate a Cat dealer near you: http://www.cat.com/dealer-locator

At the lower right in this view is a frame with an intro to GERP.  Click on "Learn More."   At the end of the next frame in the lower right is an opportunity to request GERP DVD:   " Request a GERP DVD (Media #LERW4485), New users can request a GERP DVD." Then click on "Learn More."  That takes one to a screen to input the DVD request.  There is so much performance information, installation drawings and models that Caterpillar moved from a CD-ROM to a DVD years ago.  Once you work thru the hassle of getting local admin rights for your PC and install it on your computer, there is a tutorial on how to use GERP.  (In one of the above screens you worked thru is also GERP help desk contact info.)  Please register your copy of GERP so you  have access to automatic internet updates which are periodically pushed to registered GERP users.  GERP software provides engine specific site specific performance information of present production gas compression engines with corrections for fuel quality, altitude, and ambient temperature at the emissions setpoint chosen. 

Legacy and earlier non-current gas engine performance information is available from the GERP home screen on the left hand side under Reference Material. Under the Petroleum/Industrial header you'll find the G300 Family of Gas Engines (the gas 6 1/4 bore engines).  The performance book has the firing order and expected performance as was provided during the late '70s & 80s until end of G300 production in 1989.  The performance Blue, Green or White Books of the earlier petroleum / industrial G3300s, G3400s & G3500s are also there.  If these earlier non-current or even current engine performance outputs do not include the firing order it will be found in the Reference MAterial under the "Operation and Maintenance Manuals" header.  Something relatively new is inclusion of genset performance for the G3300, G3400 & G3500 Generator Set engines.  When connected to the internet, those books will download and pull into your GERP copy on your computer.  Sorry for such a deliberate answer to your specific question.

Highlighted
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Legacy engine specifications

I would like to find information regarding horsepower ratings, firing order, and more regarding older cat engines.  If these data are not readily available online  I would like to engage the community to help me develope that here on this forum.  I know that such information is available for the diesle propulsion engines here:

http://marine.cat.com/propulsion/legacy

I would like to be able to have available similar information for the gas engines as well.

Darrel Fischer
Field Service Technician