Contributor

Re: 3406E Reman Cyl. Head

OK, Thanks for clearing that up for me. CAT call center couldn't readily access gasket thicknesses or tell me what "saw-cut" meant. I believe my next action will be to replace engine speed/timing sensor, to see if the gremlins will go away. Some say if it's not throwing a code, it's good- Others say they can act up awhile before they fail. Any comments on that? And THANKS GUYS, it sure helps to hear from people with experience.

Super Contributor

Both cylinder head gaskets are the same thickness. There are no thicker gaskets for 3406E engines. The cylinder block design determines the correct gasket. Newer engines use the 2245122 gasket. If your engine was manufactured before November 1997, the 1539653 is the correct head gasket. Newer engines used a separate seal insert in the oil drain-back hole at the rear of the head. A sawcut cylinder head had grooves cut in the head between the headbolt holes between the cylinders. This was to prevent cracking of the cylinder head casting at those locations. Any time the cylinder head has been removed, the timing needs to be calibrated. If the timing will calibrate, then the gear train is assembled correctly.
Contributor

Injector is set correctly, he checked then I checked. New inj. codes were entered, I watched. Since I last posted, I looked at another CAT 3406E, a '97 engine that has never been worked on, and having measured areas on bottom of casting, mine appears to have as much as .155" ground off! This would lower cam gear enough to make timing "dead-on" impossible! I'm begining to think maybe reman shop is going farther with the grinder than they used to, then posting service letters to use thicker gaskets. I'm sure alot of marginal heads have come in with the "precious metals" program. What do you think- am I making any sense here? By the way, Mech. is 50- something with much exp. and top reputation, but if I'm right, this is a new development with the reman shop. Still wondering about thickness of #1539653 verses #2245122. HELP!

Contributor

The Cam idler gear can adjust ( for backlash ), think this could affect the timing issue.

Contributor

Ok, I have searched through my service information system and unfortunately I couldnt find anything ( my SIS database is a bit old ).  From the sound of it I dont think that the thicker head gasket is needed. (Gonna rattle the cage) Did the mech enter the correct injector trim codes into the engine ECM? Is the injector height dimension timed correctly with the 9U-7227 injector height dimension gauge? I am still looking into it, maybe we are missing something stupid.

The engine was built 21/07/1994 and have 324kw (440Hp) of power.

The cam timing is bothering me a bit. ( 1/2 tooth ).

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ser. # 5EK22178. Engine was in frame majored and started missing within 1 or 2 days. Sounded like an advance-timed engine to me so I asked Mech. who did the work to check timing. He advised he probe-timed it, but, it still acts the same, infrequent very low throttle missing, and fuel knock at start-up. Now I'm thinking high compression and fast timing due to head grinding/ wrong (thin) head gasket. I've had trucks as an owner-operator for 32 years, This is the first one I did'nt overhaul myself. I'm familiar with sounds and behavior of both advance-timed and retard-timed mech. engines. Just telling this so you know my exp. level. This is my personal truck so I notice little differences. Reman Head # is 10R5984 and gasket # used is 1539653 (correct I'm told for non- "saw-cut" head). Head gasket came in #3487073 ovh. kit. Spacer plate was not changed. Injectors were all replaced because mech. thought it sounded like a sticky plunger (old ones only had 240000 mi. on them!). Just went out and looked, head appears to have alot taken off the bottom, lower edge of exh. manifold is below upper edge of spacer plate. Hope you have some idea... THANKS

P.S. As far as I know (checked CAT records) this was first overhaul- bought the truck with 600000- now has about 1mil. whatever caused this happened at overhaul. no problems prior, only ovh. due to packing s beginning to fail. CAT Reman must be grinding heads below prev. limits as Cat man advised some heads when used MUST USE "saw-cut" gasket. (possibly 10R5985?).

Contributor

What is the complete engine ser no?

Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, only if the engine BLOCK deck was cut, check the old head gasket for the sawcut mark. If the old gasket has the sawcut mark then  you will have to replace it with the same type. 

I will look the head gasket up tonight. I`m not sure about the cam timing issue could be ( it makes sense to me ), Was the engine rebuilt before?

Was the engine block deck cut? Reman engine blocks have a stamp somewhere ( will make sure ) if it needs the thicker head gasket.

Contributor

OK, So thebottom side of cyl head was ground so much that I probably need the thicker gasket? Do you know how much thicker gasket  part  # 2245122 is? Also, this might be the reason we can't get cam timing "dead-on" because with the cam gear lowered, idler gear will not set with timing mark on cover position. (about 1/2 tooth off) Any way to tell if head was ground this much with it already installed in the truck? Any marking or stampings from CAT Reman?

THANKS.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

The sawcut head gasket is an ovesize ( thicker  than the normal gasket ) head gasket and must be installed when the engine block deck was cut and the deck height was decreased.

The saw cut profile can be seen on the head gasket, I think it is usually on the left side of the gasket between cyl1 and cyl2 you cant miss it.

Hope this helps.