Contributor

Re: 908 Wheel Loader, brake lights stay on

Ummm...as suggested in first reply?    ;-)

Cat Dealer
Dealer

Check your brake switch. It is a limit switch attached to your brake pedal. If it is damaged or not making contact, it could keep your lights on.

Contributor

Sure you can disconnect the wires. Only considerations are 1. Safety (off road on site only) Even if you hook up wires again, on road unsafe. 2. If there is a short in the system, problem could find it's way to other systems. If lights are switched through ground, circuit shorted to ground probably not a big deal.

If a standard lead acid battery, the longer you leave batteries discharged, the more damage will occur. Gel batteries a little more durable. Takes longer for sulphuric acid to settle on plates and then flake off and cause sulphation on bottom of case = shorted cell(s) = replace battery. Cold weather typically discharges faster. Holds charge less efficiently.

Visitor

It doesn't do this all the time, but now the battery  is dead and has to be recharged, hope it's still good

Visitor

Thanks for the help, can I just disconnect wires at the lights?

Contributor

Determine location and condition of brake light switch, ie: pressure switch, contact switch, proximity switch... Determine if brake light wiring is switched on hot or ground side.

If switch tests good, find out if a short exists in wiring to brake lights, on either hot or ground side. You can disconnect wiring and check for proper function of switch and wiring if nec. If all checks ok disconnect lights individually and check for malfunction.  Do you have the new integrated LED tail lights? $$

Or take to dealer, and spend money! Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Visitor
Accepted Solution

908 Wheel Loader, brake lights stay on

Brake lights stay on after unit is shut down, this kills my battery

Can I pull the fuse, or disconnect wires at lights? unit is 2002

thanks

Dave