Highlighted

Re: C-9 Hydraulic injector pump replace

copy, thanks a bunch 

Super Contributor

Removing old injectors is the hard part. Hold down bolts need to be replaced. Use something like STP or Lucas on the injector seals. The injector oil passages in the cylinder head need to be flushed by removing all the galley plugs. You'll need Cat ET to install injector trim files. Injector serial numbers are required.

Yeah the pump is 1300$ plus core so that's not to bad. Is replacing the injectors difficult?  No timing issues due to it being electronic but specialty tools and such? I've done plenty of old style Detroits and Cummings but nothing modern. Are the passages in block/head or tubular? I've looked for a internal view of the motor but haven't found one that helps much yet.  Thx for the info...

Super Contributor

The front plate does not need to be removed to replace the HEUI pump. If the pump has failed, the injection oil system will need to be flushed and the injectors will need to be replaced. Replacing the pump is not difficult.

C-9 Hydraulic injector pump replace

Hey guys!  My local CAT tech tells me my injector pressure pump is failing and will leave me stranded in the field someday. It's and early model MT765 with a C-9 motor rated at 317hp.  It doesn't look like a hard job, the front plate must come off to access the front drive and bolts. I'm still waiting on a price for the part but CAT wants 5k+ to do the job and they want it in their shop to boot so that's more cost on top.

Is there anything that is strictly hands off here?  No timing issues because the injectors fire electronically or am  i just foolin myself?  jimmi