Contributor

Re: Cat C15 dont start on battery but start on Air

Any suggestions?

Contributor

Hi Dave,

Good day.  I went to vessel last week.  my self witnessed the engine start and I describe as below.

Air start always okay.  Engine RPM reaches close to 200 RPM and engine starts without problem.

on battery first time it reach around 180 RPM and engine start.  from 2nd start onwards engine rpm reach only 150 but could crank at 150 as long we keep the start button pressed.  this show that battery has capacity to crank for prolonged period of time but engine is not starting at 150 RPM

for the purpose of test while we crank the engine using battery at 150RPM, I sprayed engine starter spray at the fresh air intake side of the engine and the engine is getting started.

on seeing this - it comes to my mind that if ECM start give fuel to engine at 150, the engine will assist with fuel to raise RPM and engine can start. 

my question:

1. what is the starting RPM is needed for engine to start?

2. is it possible to make the ECM to release fuel at 150 RPM?  now it is not releasing the fuel at 150 RPM

3. what is the interface communication cable needed and software ?

sw part number 3145001-00

SW date JUN07

HW version 2433820.10

Kindly assist to advice.

thanks and  best regarsd

K.Parimalam

Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks Dave,

This engine is on board our ship crane at Thailand, I explained our engineer on board to check this unswitched power, he will check and revert.  during my conversation, i understand that even though the engine is cranking good but voltage dip on 24V is happening due to starting moter load, possibly this dip in voltage not sufficient un-switched power to ECM?? if this could be the one of the cause, I can install another power supply from ship power to provide power to this terminal.  This is just a thought at this point of time and I am sharing with you.  now vessel will check and inform me.

thanks and best regards
K.Parimalam

Super Contributor

Unswitched battery to pins 1, 31, and 32 at the customer connector.
Contributor

Thanks Dave

Serial number MCW02801  trus this what needed

thanks and best regard,

K.Parimalam

Super Contributor

Post engine serial number.
Contributor

Thanks a Lot Dave,

Now I understand your point, I will get this checked.  this may be the problem.  I will get back after checks.

thanks for your time and attention

thanks and  best regards

K.Parimalam

Super Contributor

Sorry, I should have clarified. The engine ECM requires both switched and unswitched battery power. If unswitched battery power is not present at specific terminals of the engine ECM, the engine may not start.
Contributor

Hi Dave,
Very good morning. Thanks for your help. Battery polarity is correct, it start first time but not during 2nd stry. If we leave charge and after one day it start firsr time but second time it cannot. Battery is good, good cranking of engine is happening but not starting. On air start it start all the time.
Super Contributor

Are you sure the unswitched battery positive connections have been made?