Contributor

Re: Wiring a 3406E up to a truck that had 3406C peec

Just to bring you all up to speed, the conversion was a success! The 2005 379 cab wiring did not have the circuit 220 lead back from the automatic/manual dash switch to the firewall "Hood" connector at G7 so we had to add it, plus install a relay (on the firewall) and reconfigure the dash switch for the 3406e engine fan relay circuit. That circuit had us going for a while until we figured out that the engine fan relay is always operated when the engine is running (fan clutch released) but is released to operate the solenoid thus engaging the air operated fan clutch (Horton type). We also of course had to supply 12 volt switched power to pin 30 on the relay so that the solenoid would operate through pin 87a when the relay is released. The dash light for the manual fan operated switch even works as it should! It has been a learning process for sure and thanks to this forum for helping us out.

Highlighted
Super Contributor

No resistor is needed. Retarder common is the same circuit as the cruise control common, which is battery negative.
Contributor

Actually that would be decimal 16, but who cares? Thanks very much, am very glad I chanced on this very informative site, hopefully I can also contribute and help solve some problems for others...

Contributor

Thanks "binary one"...

We'll hook it up using ground but I think I'll just put it in using a load resistor first just to be safe. We do not have a spare ECM, and I'm the "goat" if anything bad happens...

Thanks again, I appreciate the positive response...

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]
Ground (Battery neg)
Contributor

Okay, we have just about got everything ready to go on our Peterbilt Cummins to Cat 3406e conversion but have a question...

We have the 40 pin CAT ECM (5EK type engine) and are wondering whether GND is applied to "Retarder Enable" or +12V to turn on the "Jake Brake" function.

Sorry for asking likely dumb questions, but I am not  at all familiar with heavy trucks, try me out on helicopters...

Thanks in advance...

Contributor

Hope I’ve posted this in the correct place! I am trying to help a friend use a 1996 Peterbilt 379 running gear (1996 Caterpillar 3406e 5EK version engine) with a 2005 Peterbilt 379 cab/sleeper combination that was wired for the Cummins ISX type engine. I checked the schematics and it looks like this is doable fairly easily with a few wiring changes and minor parts substitutions. I am just curious about any special considerations for the Caterpillar ECM wiring, we are planning on using the J1587 and J1922 data links but not the J1939 data link as it apparently was not used originally. This vehicle is registered as a 1996 Peterbilt, any suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Super Contributor

Cat didn't build the truck. They only supplied the engine. You'll need to go to the truck manufacturer/dealer for a schematic of the truck wiring.

I did the same thing incoverted it to a 3406e to figure the wire numbers out I need the diagram for the peec side at firewall

Hi do you have a link I'm looking for a wireing schematic at the firewall for ecm of a 3406c peec from a 93 378