Super Contributor

Re: Wiring a 3406E up to a truck that had 3406C peec

Jakes work depending on the way they are programmed. They automatically turn off at 1000 RPM and won't work with the truck not moving unless programmed to "manual". I wouldn't take the brake and clutch switches out of the circuit as you need those for the cruise control also. You'll need Cat ET to T/S the speedometer and tachometer issue. There is a speedometer test and tachometer test in ET. The tach head needs to be set for 113 pulses per revolution. The speedometer head needs to be set for 30000 pulses per mile. You'll also need to program the correct pulses per mile for your tire size and rear end ratio. Your local Cat dealer can probably go through the parameters with you and run the tests on the speedo and tach. Have them update the engine software also.
Contributor

Thanks Dave for all the help i got hte truck running now ive got issues first got the jake hooked up like you said and i have nothing im thinking of just takingthe clutch and service brake and tieing them right to a common out of the ecm to bypass the switches all together is the a good or bad thing

second tachometer am i missing something hooked it up and it dont work signal negative to signal negative on ecm and same with the positive is there something im missing maybe like a 12v out of the ecm

Third Speedometer hooked up the way you said even changed the sensor on the transmission and it does nothing any help with these three would help me greatly cause ive been beating my head against the wall trying to figure this out

Thanks again

Mike Stotler    

Super Contributor

NO, you cannot tie in to the wiring to the oil pressure and coolant temp sensors. Either install senders for your gauges or buy a Cat dash display.
Contributor

On the clucth fan could i just hook it up to the 2 wires already coming out of the cab from my fan switch i have. With me being heavy i normally just let the fan run espesially with all the mountians i pull.

Contributor

Thanks Dave for my engine temp and oil pressure could i just tie in to the wiring before the sensors and just a run a wiring into the cab to the temp gauge and the oil gauge after 4 hours of tracing and checking wiring all im waiting on is the new TPS and checking to see if i could just splice into the wiring before the sensors cause i cant seem to find  pin on the out going to the cab for the oil pressure and engine temp.

Thanks in advance for all the help you have given me

Mike Stotler

Super Contributor

The oil pressure and coolant temperature gauges are connected to separate sensors from the engine electronics. Another option is the electronic dash display which is connected to the engine data link. Engine brake has one wire for the low setting, one for medium and both together for high. Connecting those wires through a switch to battery negative enables engine brake. You just need a new 3 position dash switch for the engine brake, along with the on-off switch.
Contributor

Thanks for the schematics Dave i need to pick you brain a little on my truck the oil pressure was done with a regular gauge is it still done on the 3406 e or is it electronic if it is electronic you wouldnt happen to know what pins they are

also coolant temp what pins are used on the 3406e. Everything else ive figured out im hoping with this info i can have it back running by the weekend. Also on the peec it only had a 2 stage jake is the 3406E a 2 stage or is it 3 stage if it is a 3 stage can i just get away with low and high jake setting cause i really only use the high side cause im never under 4500o with this truck.

Thanks in advance

Super Contributor

You'll need to make a few changes to switch from PEEC to 3406E. The throttle position sensor is powered through the engine ECM on the 3406E, so you'll need an 8 volt TPS. Also, the engine brake is controlled by the engine ECM so the common wire at the switches in the dash will need to be connected to battery negative instead of positive. The PEEC engine used a speed buffer for vehicle speed. This is not needed on the 3406E. The vehicle speed wires are connected to ECM pins 12 and 18. Tachometer is connected to pins 11 and 17 and speedometer to pins 10 and 16. The engine fan is also controlled by the engine ECM and requires different wiring from the PEEC engine.
Contributor
Accepted Solution

Wiring a 3406E up to a truck that had 3406C peec

I have been beating my head against the wall im trying to find a pin designation for the ecm on the 3406e so that I can take my 2 harness from my cab and make them work into one. I've talked to my local cat dealer and they keep giving me the run around like they don't want to help. It took them 2 weeks to realize they had the harness I needed no im at the point of needing a wiring diagram so that I can make the harnesses work. All im looking for is a little wiring diagram of both motors the local cat dealer has me at the point of just selling the truck and buying a Mack so that all my fleet are the same

any help with this will be greatly appreciated

Thanks Mike stotler