Contributor

Re: cold start only

Cool thanks that really helped, finally found a video on YouTube. It's one unit, is there any special bleeding or anything I have to do?
Super Contributor

High pressure oil pump is the HEUI pump.
Contributor

the place I took it to said it was just the high pressure oil pump, it was only at 2200 psi when it should have been at 3300 psi, they did not say anything about the HEUI pump, that actually looks like it has been replaced. it is not painted. I was only quoted 2 grand to fix it, what you are saying is a lot more??? and they said it would not hurt anything because I told them I already had the injectors replaced last year.

Super Contributor

When the HEUI pump fails, metal shavings from the pump contaminate the injectors. You'll need to have the injection oil system flushed and replace all 6 injectors in addition to the HEUI pump.
Contributor

Got it checked out, high pressure oil pump. Now I got to figure out where it is located and how to change it.
Contributor

unfortunately my uncle had some dumb company that sold him the truck do it, had to do the engine, injectors, tranny, and I just did the turbo. dont know what they used for the injectors or anything else, that was over a year ago, havent had any problems since then other than the turbo a few months ago. it was a budget rental truck so not taken care of at all.

Super Contributor

KAL is a HEUI engine. It's possible the HEUI pump is weak. Your Cat dealer can test the pump and advise. What is the part number of the injectors that were installed? Were the trim files installed?
Contributor

engine serial number is kal33905

im not sure, I dont really work on diesel, im trying to fix my work truck.

I know injectors were replaced.

Super Contributor

Is this a HEUI C7 or common rail? Engine serial number?
Contributor

cold start only

[ Edited ]

Hi, I have a Cat C7 2004 that will only start when the engine is cold, it will start in the morning after sitting all night (southern California) runs fine after start up no loss of power does 70 MPH no problem cant tell anything is wrong when it is running I started and stopped it 5 times this morning and no problems, drove it around the block a couple times about 2 miles parked it, shut it off and it would not restart. Waited a few hrs with a fan on the (I believe the fuel injector pump) the fuel water separator line goes to it, started right up, only after warm up will it not restart. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank You