Contributor

Re: Crude As Fuel for Drilling Rigs

thanks again for your replies...I found LEBW4976, and I'm hopeful that the crude will meet all the specs in Appendix 2.  If it does, does that open the door to more engines, like the C32?  

I'm doing a survey of engine models in the area, there are tons: power generation, mobile mining equipment & locomotives, drilling rigs, etc.  If the crude doesn't have any issues like contaminants, high viscosity, etc. do you think it's worth pursuing?  Other than the carrot of very low cost compared to diesel fuel, what are the other objections likely to be raised?

(I hear you about the need for personnel/systems to guarantee quality issues (like water and sediment.  I think we can solve that one.)

Mike

Super Contributor

Re: Crude As Fuel for Drilling Rigs

check you other post.

The C32, pretty much no way, the D379's likely but a lot to do.

Have you coinsidered a dual fuel conversion like the Altronic GTI?

Mike L.

Contributor

Crude As Fuel for Drilling Rigs

I'm a petroleum engineer working on cost reductions for our drilling programs. We are using a couple of drilling rigs that use Cat C32 and Cat D379 gensets running on diesel fuel.  We have a light sweet crude oil in the vicinity.  Can anyone advise what the hurdles are to using this crude to fuel our rigs.

Thanks,

Mike