Re: M43 Connecting Rod Failure

Dear Mozha,

Quite interesting, if possible please share some pictures as we also operate some of these M43 Engines on our ships. They are also clocking above 50,000hrs of engine operation now.

BR.Anand Satish 

Dear MAK Team

we have buyed a vessel use mainengine MAK 7M43, and till today, she has operated over 61.000 hour, and she met problem with connecting rod. so according MAK policy about exchange THese small ends, so, we will exchange new these small ends without any fee, won't you? (all small end and connecting rods didn't replaced before)

I'm looking forward to hearing from you

thanks so much

Best regards

Contributor
Employee

Patrick,  you may be pleased to learn that we are now 3 years into a campaign to improve dealer marine service capabilities, and have recently launched a GL Certification of the service assessment.  If you want to know about a dealer's capabilities in marine before requesting a service activity, please ask if they have completed the Marine Service Assessment, and if they are GL Certified.  Only our GOLD and PLATINUM dealers are eligible for marine GL Certification.

More on the Marine Service Assessment can be seen on this YouTube video:  http://youtu.be/ozKrRQjtf1A

Contributor

Mozha72

I was told it was do to mirco movement of the small end bushing causing mirco cracking in the upper end of the eye, leading to failure.

JW
Contributor

Hi JWBills

thanks for your info. Have you got any explanation and/or a condition assessment of the replaced small end eye?

Thanks in advance

Mozha 72

Contributor

mozha72

I am sure by now you have your answers, but if not you can purchase only the upper part of the connecting rod. I have already replaced 5 engine sets.

JW

JW
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

It`s quite common for cat dealers to have a mushroom policy.

Especially because 95% of the cat dealers know how to work on a excavator or forklift. But have 0 experience on Marine engines, and mostly arren`t interested at all.

Contributor

Jaime Many thanks for your reply much appreciated Regards
Contributor
Employee

[ Edited ]

Sorry for the late reply. 

I would suggest you provide the details of your concern and your complaint to one of my regional Product Support Managers. 

For contact details, please email me through this community.

Each of these managers are responsible for the dealer capabilties and response quality.  If your local dealer isn't able to reply, my team is responsible for working with you to understand your challenge and work with the dealer to get you the reply you need to be successful.

I hope this helped!

Jaime

Contributor

Good Day Jaime

have you read my last message?

Could you kindly help our company. We have in our fleet 5 M43 engines. Your local dealear do not reply to our queries.

Looking forward to hear from you

BR

Mozha