Highlighted
Contributor

Re: 246C Skid Steer Fuel Issue, I Think...

So there is only 5 of these things in North America

ill have mine in 4 days when I checked them the springs were severely worn after I reassembled it my machine would not start due to load which the Cat mechanic said would confirm the issue

Contributor

Re: 246C Skid Steer Fuel Issue, I Thin...

So part numer 278-8718 seems to be our problem 

valve pump control its right under your implement pump 

Contributor

So I had a Cat mechanic out , $210/hr 

he isn't sure and advised me to inspect the lift and tilt hydraulic bank ,I believe you already started there

Just checking to see if you had any success?

Contributor

Have you had any luck?

i replaced my variable pumps with a donor after I put it back together with the arms in the air it started and moved normally 

until I went to lower the lift arms and it sent the machine back into stall 

I did replace the load relief valve on that stack. They've gone through the tilt cylinder valve stack and it was all fine. As the gentleman indicated above the problem seems to be in the pump itself. The compensator may be stuck or something is bypassing in the pump. Took the pump off to a hydraulic repair shop. I'd look more toward the pump if your relief valve is operating properly.
Contributor

My pressure readings are the same
I think it is in the tilt cylinder spool
I was wondering if you replaced the load sense relief valve?
It seems to be the piece that switches the load from drive train to lift and tilt etc?
Trusted Contributor

May I humbly say, I spent my lifetime working around Caterpillar machinery and for a Caterpillar dealer. Caterpillar supports their dealers better than any other manufacturer in the world. The factory has a help line to accomodate situations like yours.I think you are short changing yourself by not using this service.

In 40 years of work, I have seen some thorny issues with customers resolved, in many instances, factory support people had witnessed  the same issue on other machines and knew the answers readily.

I don't want to make you mad or turn this into a pissing contest but, I suspect that at the bottom of your issue is one to do with communication, The dealer isn't listening to you or the other way around.

It breaks my heart to read where a Caterpillar dealer can't solve a problem with one of their products.

From an old mechanics point of view it seems to me that your problem has to do with the hydraulic pump output control. The pump is working in full stroke mode all the time, which is overpowering the engine. Someone with a flowmeter could readily test the system and find the source of the problem.

Normally I would agree, the cat dealer is very knowledgeable about machine issues. However, they were unable to diagnose the issue on this particular problem. I was underwhelmed by their shop on this one. They have seen the machine, worked on it and basically gave up. Difficult for me to take it back to them at this point.
Trusted Contributor

Reading your post, I have to conclude that with due respect, may I humbly suggest that you call your Cat dealer. While they may be expensive, they have spent a lot of their money on tools and training of techs to solve problems like yours. Spending your money on things that don't need fixing is also expensive. With respect ..

Contributor

Thank you for replying
I have had my machine for 10 years and it is like a part of me, I'm a owner operator and I fix it on my own if possible,if you can update me to the solution I would greatly appreciate it and I'm happy I'm diagnosing it correctly from my end , I saw all the work you put into the wrong system and don't have the time to guess too long and the Cat dealership is too expensive to rely on
Thank you very much it eases the stress a little
Jason Rawn