Highlighted
Contributor
Employee

Re: Cat 730 Articulating Dumptruck

Hi cbmech! Thank you for your post. We recommend working your local Cat dealer to determine exactly what happened when the brakes failed. In the meantime, below are answers to your brake design questions.

Q: How are the brakes biased? Even all the way around, or is it heavier on the front than in the rears?

A: The brakes aren't biased - all three axles are equal.

Q. Does Cat have documentation of brake wear rates for various operating conditions?

A: We don't have documentation on brake wear rates by operating condition. There are too many variables in applications, materials, maintenance practices and loading techniques to put numbers around brake wear.

Q. Should the front brakes wear at the same rate as the rears, or faster?

A: Typically, the wear should be similar on all brakes but this is all dependent on application and wear can vary between all axles.

Cat 730 Articulating Dumptruck

Hello,

I have a 730 dump that has suffered catrostropic front brake faileure, and I have a couple questions that I was hoping to get some assistance with answering.  Serial # CAT00730CB1M2623  Model Year 2009  Hours: 960

1.  How are the brakes biased?  Even all the way around, or is it heavier on the front than in the rears?

2.  Does Cat have documentation of brake wear rates for various operating conditions?

3.  Should the front brakes wear at the same rate as the rears, or faster?

Thanks in advance for any assistance that can be provided.