Highlighted

Re: cat 289 C loss of power and movement

Having the same issue, what was the solution?

I am having the same problem on my cat 262c. I go forward and the machine starts to slow down, I have to move the joystick back to the center and then move forward again. The engine does not bog down or skip a beat. I have replaced the hydraulic filter, fluid, tank strainer and breather. Still having the same issue. Please help

When the slowdown occurs does the engine also fall on it's face? It sounds like a fuel problem if you are getting engine stumbling and loss of power at the same time. When you release the control handle does the engine RPM pick back up? If it does I would replace your fuel filters and take the supply line from the tank off the water separator filter boss and blow through gently to the tank with compressed air to make sure there is no debris plugging the line. You will hear an audible release in the tank if there is a blockage. If you do find there was a blockage you should think about draining and cleaning the tank becuse the debris will still be in there.

If the engine is not bogging down and you are getting the same slow down in the travel circuit then it gets more complicated from there, but I would start by replacing the hydraulic filter and cutting it open to inspect for debris.

I have the same machine, having the same problem. It drives fine, then slows down and barely moves, release the joystick to middle position and it acts fine for another 5 minutes or so. Have you found a solution for this?

Administrator
Employee

Hi rachetman,

Sorry that you are having an issue with your 289C. What you have described suggests that the engine may be losing power. There are features in the machines control system that will limit the ground speed if the engine begins to slow down.

I suggest you check and replace all the air and fuel filters on the machine. Is it possible that you are now using contaminated fuel? If these quick maintenance items do not address the problem, please contact your local Cat dealer for a more thorough investigation.

Regards,
Cody

cat 289 C loss of power and movement

i work for a gentmen and we use a 289c skid steer loader to brush hog the machine worked great but has lately developed an issue where your moving forward and it feels like the brakes are dragging but there are no brakes its hydrostatic it will eventually come to a complete stop and then u have to let the joystic return to the middle and then move it forward again and it will move freely again for a short distance then stare locking up again yesterday it would not move at all and was missing and smoking no idea what is causing this issue now eather please help