Highlighted

Re: C9 with Pushrod issue

Thanks for the replies! Our tech are working with CAT and so far the cause is not known. Upon replacing the bent pushrods, the engines seem to be fine - no wiped cam lobes, bent valves, and lash adjustment has been ruled out by CAT...more to follow, we hope...

It can be a worn camlub specifically on the pushrod affected.

Trusted Contributor

most likely the Lifter lock spring is broken, causing the lifter to spin around. this wears the lifter and camshaft away.

you can only remove it throuh the front housing, which probably will mean that you have to remove the engine from the maching.

My first thought would be a dead lifter, get a hold of a borescope and video the area around that lifter.

C9 with Pushrod issue

[ Edited ]

Hi Guys, I have a 2007 C9 which started to run rough at idle.  Removal of the valve cover revealed that Cyl. #4 has a pushrod which is stationary.  Engine only has 435 hours on it!  Oil level was found to be quite low on dipstick.  I dipped the fuel tank and the diesel seemed quite brown, theres a possibility that oil is transfering into the fuel.  There are no signs that oil is being emitted from the exhaust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=limCgezggck&feature=youtu.be

I have video taped this while running.  Can the camshaft be pulled out the rear of the block? Is this a tear the entire engine down situation or a common failure which can be repaired with a new camshaft/pushrod etc?

Just looking for any input & advice.  I am not a cat mechanic but am mechanically inclined.  This may be a repair I can handle given some print instructions to follow, but I would also have no hesitations calling in the pros if this is a big job.