Highlighted
Visitor

Re: Testing for ethernet on G610 display

127.0.0.1 is the loopback address and used mostly for testing. It allows you to test without relying the actual network.

Here is a short description:

https://www.juniper.net/documentation/en_US/junos16.1/topics/concept/interface-security-loopback-und...

The o IP is Local?

Gosto de assuntos sobre advocacia e tecnologia

Thanks!

Visitor

I'm sure this is too late to help this time but next time give this a try:

get to the command line 

and ping 127.0.0.1

if this returns an error try imaging the display to solve any TCP/IP stack issues . If that doesn't work you can bet the NIC is failing.

Contributor
Employee

Thanks for letting us know!!

I am sure this information will help other dealers and customers around the world!

Cheers

Kerrie

[ Edited ]

We ended up doing a "more simple" test and grabbed a borrowed G610, installed software on it, configured for IP and network settings, and then installed it on the dozer.  It worked when installed and so the presumtion is that the original display "failed" in that the ethernet card wasn't working.  We are now working on getting the failed display ready for a warranty claim.

I guess what I was originally "hoping for" would be some sort of onboard diagnostic on the display to let me know that there was a physical problem with the NIC.

Contributor
Employee

Jim,

Please see below a response from one of our Subject Matter Experts here in Brisbane.

In these sorts of situations I use my Fluke Cable Tester to heck all the way through the system.

Doing an OHM's Test on the Cables does not always show up issues and if they are crossed over or crimped then you can get intermittent issues which wont show up when you test them with a Multimeter. The easiest way to find the issue is to test from the very start of the Network cable to the very end using one of these testers which will show up the problems very quickly.

If it is showing up as not connected on the G610 then you will have one of about three issues, Buggered Termination, Crimped or Crushed Cable, or possibly a broken NIC on the G610 (Unlikely). I guess there is always the chance of the Switch being buggered as well but this would show up on the tester as well.  

Cheers
Kerrie

Testing for ethernet on G610 display

Is there a way or "trick" to check for ethernet connection from the G610 displays?  We've checked connectivity from the harnessing through to the connection to the radio and it all ohms out just fine.  We've also checked the switch and the various ports on the switch and they all work.  The error that we're getting on the display after running NETconfig.exe and inputting the IP, subnet, and gateway is that "local media disconnected"; so no recognition of the NIC.  We've set everything up on connection #2 through the NETconfig.exe interface as we have with the other machines.  Even got to a point that we tried it on connection #1 just to test but neither recognized any locally set IP or LAN connection...