Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Engine burning coolant

I had experience at cat 3406 E .same problem which was burning coolant.I found  out it in waterpump where there is a hole that is provide signal if water pump is broken down via a signal hole.finally signa hole was plugged and the all water goes to engine over the pan goes to breather.

I overhaul water pump Changed coil. the problem finish.

salih Ertekin

Dealer Technican

Hateto break it to you buddy but a 3406 E is an electronic direct injected engine haha.... no pre combustion chamber in the whole entire engine.

Mike Flores

The injector nozzle sleeves may have not been installed inthe head properly or "coined" properly, allowing the coolant to leak from the head and burn.

Mike Flores

My guess would be a nick in a head gasket or someone didn't torque down a head properly. A head leak doesn't always go both ways, so its not surprising that there is no coolant in the crankcase. Once the engine heats up, the small gap allowing the coolant to be introduced to the combustion chamber is eliminated as the hot parts expand. If a torque wrench is applied to the head bolts and the engine is warm, they will probably check good. They need to check those bolts when the engine is stone cold. I have even had a head with a small crack in it tighten up once it heats up. Start with the simple stuff and work your way up the cost food chain. Once those bolts are re-torqued I will bet your problem resolves. Good Luck.

Cat Dealer
Dealer

Honestly it is probably the head gasket, and or one or more of the seals.  Liner protrusion may be out.

Cat Dealer
Dealer

Cat engines haven't used precups in almost 30 years.....good lord......lol

Hello I use to work NW. Motor Welders a machine shop that did rebuilds on diesel cat motors and when placing the prechamber in, some times they forgot the shims to clock the glo plug and did they put a tat-a-tail in the rebuilt head also did they use a tapered plug for cracked bridge fix or a crack down the ports crack between the prechamber would not show up in oil

Visitor

I agree.  Take it back to the Cat dealership, armed with all the facts you have and let them start it up cold in AM.  Was the overhaul done at a TEPS dealer or the actual Caterpillar dealership?   Not sure where you are located, but weather is starting to warm up and you want to make sure the problem can be duplicated. 

Contributor

I'd suggest bringing it back to CAT. Leave it there overnight so they can start it cold in the morning and see it smoke and burn coolant.

Engine burning coolant

Hi everyone. We had overhaul on 3406E CAT just a week ago at authorized CAT dealership. The engine smokes white smoke, and burns coolant at rate one gallon per 100 miles.

Here are the facts: there is no coolant in the engine oil; there is no coolant in the fuel, or fuel in the coolant; the coolant system has 8psi pressure; the engine starts rough, and smokes for 5-10min and then smoke clears, there are no coolant leaks. Any suggestions?