Cat Dealer
Dealer

Re: Auto-exercise of our generator

If the genset is unloaded, I suggest you run the genset in less than 5 minutes.

Cat Dealer
Dealer

No manufacturer is going to recommend one interval over another, as if they do and something goes wrong they open themselves up to blame.

The exercise between every week and every month is up to the owner.  Since you seem to be with CBRE you need to weigh the fuel used and amount of time running unloaded with the risk that is deemed acceptable as to the last time the unit has been run.  I personally think once a month is fine, have a tech check it every 6 months.  Belts and hoses don't degrade faster than that.  Extended exercise when the generator is unloaded tends to have it slobber excessively.

But some owners want to hear it run every week as it gives them a comfortable feeling.  In either case the decision needs to be made by the customer.  Oh, and make it exercise early in the week, so if something does break you aren't fixing things on weekend overtime. 

So.. Do you recommend exercising the generator every week? Is this a manufacturer recommendation?

Tks

RDT

You should also consider a prelube pump which frequently prelubes to keep the genset ready to go.  You can check it out on our VARNA Products website.  Thanks & Smiles 2 Share ;-)

Highlighted
Contributor

I am working in Caterpillar Dealer . You are Doing Good exceriecse . 20 Min time is enough for off load generator .

Trusted Contributor

Few suggestions- 

1- SOS sampling - this will assist you in seeing any trending issues with your fluids. I would do fuel, oil, and coolant. Quarterly.

2- An annual load test- this will ensure the unit will see a loaded situation.  Simply running your genset with no load is not really adequate in my mind.  Running the unit under a load will make sure the generator can perform at its name plate rating.

3- ATS- transfer test- This is to ensure the ATS transfers the load under a simulated power outage. Its important make sure its components are operating as well.  Also, the amount of time for the transient loading to be applied.  

4- Install jacket water heaters - You may have these already- if not, i would do this.

I would contact a CAT Dealer and ask about a CSA- Contract Service Agreement and have them put these items together on a 6 month interval, 12 months would be at a minimum.  Most dealers have a great CSA deal that does all the above plus oil changes, general inspections, etc.  Plus, you guarantee the work with a Certified CAT tech if you have any warranty items.  

Hope that helps,

Nick C.

Visitor

Nothing actually required. We just want to be certain that everything is ready in case it is needed. When our power goes out, it will auto-start in 3 seconds.

Trusted Contributor

Do you have a code/specification that requires you to exercise the unit? Most generic specs require a monthly start/stop exercise..not sure what your up against if anything at all.  

Visitor

Auto-exercise of our generator

We have a 3516B 2MW generator at our plant. It is used for backup/emergency power. It has been online for about 11/2 yrs. We have it set up to auto-exercise every 28 days for 20 minutes. Some people tell us it should run more often and some tell us less. Can someone from CAT tell me what you recommend?

thanks,

Dale