Super Contributor

Re: Coupling Failure

Reverse power problems would have to be severe to cause issues with these couplings.

Most of these type failures I have seen are due to alignment issues, more prevelant with medium voltage tail ends. My personal opinion is that the frame rails for the larger generator ends do not properly support the package, reducing coupling element life. I also think the CAT procedure for alignment of the close coupled two bearing generator does not provide the proper alignment in all cases, have done the procedure per CAT method and rechecked with a laser tool and found significant misalignment in many cases. Well performed vibration analysis can help determine if this issue is present.

Coupling elements should be regularly inspected, in most cases they aren't until a problem occurs. In most cases a visual inspection thru the fan guard is adequate.  You should also be monitoring the front and rear bearing temperatures as well, the difference between the front and rear (DE and NDE) bearing should be similar to the difference in air temperature between the cooling air into the rear of the generator and the exhausted air out at the fan/coupling guard.

Here is a link to a Centamax S installation and maintenance manual, 

http://www.centa.info/data/products/45/int/m004-00004-en-rev5.pdf

MikeL

Visitor

does reverse power has any effect on the rubber coupling??

Trusted Contributor

Excessive heat.

mis alignment.

out of spec torsional vibrations.

synchronisation issues.

all can contribute to coupling failure.

Contributor

i had change the coupling with a used one , but till now i didn't find clear reason for the damage

Visitor

do you have any news about your failure because i have exactly the same problem 

Visitor

do you have news for you failure coupling ?

Contributor

tthanks

Super Contributor

This appears to be a Centamax-S coupling, I would suggest you contact Centa for technical assistance, this is the contact I use, johnl@centacorp.com

Be preparde to provide details for your appilcation such as power rating, nominal engine speed, ambient conditions, load factor and alignment information.

MikeL

Contributor

DOES THE TUBOCHARGERS N EXHAUSTOUTLET FLEXIBLE JOINT OF EXHAUST MUFFLER ON TOP OF THIS COUPLING IF IT IS IS IT INSULATED IF NOT HEAT FROM THISCAN BE ABSORBED BY THECOUPLING AND MAY BREAK THIS RUBBER

Contributor

Coupling Failure

I have 3516 Gen set , Serial No.ZAP00881 with operating hours 23000 hrs , the gen set operate in parallel with another 20 gen sets with different sizes but most of them are 3516

during normal operation , we hear a high sound come from the coupling between the engine and the alternator

when we dissasemble the coupling we found the below failure as per the below pictures

i need your support to troublesIMG-20160714-WA0002.jpgIMG-20160714-WA0004.jpgIMG-20160714-WA0003.jpghot the root causes