Shahid

Re: G3520C ignition transformer frequent failuers

Dear sir,

check with your cat dealer.

shahid

Visitor
AKozin

I have same engine(3520C) and same problem with this engine:( short spark plugs life. I can not understand, on the even side of the engine can easily die spark plugs! Seems to have checked everything. Gap plug, voltage transformer, cylinder pressure, the mixture of air / fuel. Replace the spark plug, transformers - result is the same! No errors on the panel or not ET. Typically plugs work 1,000 hours sometimes less.On the EVEN side only! I have excellent fuel gas, no detonation or temp deviation. What can be the problem? ECM or ITSM?

save petrol, beware girls
Contributor
Beeker

Re: G3520C ignition transformer frequent failures

Hello,

I am running the same engine and I have a question about plug life. You say you replace the plugs after 3000hrs do find that the spark plug is at the end of its life? I have two sets that get rotated through at oil changes, one set has 4000hrs and the other at 5000hrs. What are you thoughts?

Thanks

Visitor
faraz24

DEAR SIR,

THANKS FOR REPLY.THERE IS NO DEVIATION.OUR CAT G3520C ONLY ONE PROBLEM THAT SUUDEN LOAD DIP OCCURED.I MEAN 300KW/400KW LOAD DROPPED.I WILL BE THANKFUL IF U HELP ME.

REGARDS

FARAZ AHMED 

Ahmad87

Try to adjust the extension stud to 22 mm of ignition transformer.

Check your earting system. Connection of earth srtip cable form back of ECM box to engine body.

Are  you reuse the failued ignition transformer after 2 or 3 days? if ignition transformer working Ok. Then all old ignition transformers need replacement.

Regards

Ahmad

Cat Dealer
kevinbrown

Operating range for Ignition Transformer Secondary will be somewhere between 22-90% which corelates to approx 8kV - 32kV. Exact % will vary from site to site. We typically see transformer voltage @ 60% with new 346-5123 plugs and 310-3180 transformers on 20E, running @ 1600kW on Alberta pipeline NG. Don't have nearly as many hours with the prechamber plugs, so your trending information would be valuable. What do you see when new vs. 2000 hours for example? Do you have temperature deviation?

Visitor
faraz24

DEAR SIR,

THANKS FOR KNOWLEDGE SHARING. WE HAVE ALSO G3520C.CAN U TELL ME MAX ALLOWABLE IGNITION TRANSFORMER SECONDARY VOLTAGE WE USED PRECHAMBER PLUG.OUR GENERATORS DROPPED SUUDEN LOAD 300KW/400KW.WE THINK MAY BE IGNITION TRANSFORMER WEAK.

GENSET NO                  PLUG HRS             ENG HRS

1                                   1000                       39500

2                                   1000                       39100 

3                                    2000                      39700

THANKS & REGARDS

FARAZ AHMED

Cat Dealer
kevinbrown

If Candle sticks are original, they would be my suggestion. Others on the community will hopefully provide more tips. Let us know how you make out.

Thanks

Contributor
Sohail

the hours are 45000, load = 1600kw, fuel source = natural gas, we are using J-Type Plug Spark P# 243-4291 (CAT). we clean through sand blasting method and check the gapping through filer gauge.

sohail
Cat Dealer
kevinbrown

How many hours are on the engine? It may be good idea to inspect the candlestick tubes (308-1380) for corrosion and ignition tracking. We have had success cleaning the contact spring carefully with glass bead, but replacing the tubes may be the best approach. What spark plugs are you using and what methods are you cleanning and gapping @ the 1000 h interval? Fuel source? Load?