Highlighted

Re: GEH 220

Hi Me again,

I was wrong about number 2 below.  We replaced the oil pressure regulating valve with no change.  1.7 V at the valve while trying to start.

Chris

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me on this.  Just to clarify, Yes we are running in Y configuration.  The rating is a 50Hz maching 230V/400V.

I have another question for you...

Our maching will not start anymore.  It is a International GCD325 2006.  We have:

1. checked the fuel to the filter and pump.  Good

2. replaced the fuel solinoid valve assy and checked the voltage at the solinoid at 1.7V while trying to start.

3. traded out the injector oil pump with a known good unit because the pressure was low.  The pressure was still 343 PSI with the known good pump.  (I am told I need 750 PSI minimum to get a start)   Digital reading injection control pressure  343 PSI

Our mechanic is suspecting leaking injectors and wants to replace them all with new for over $7,000

That is why I am asking this question... If it would be the injectors, is there a rebuild service availible? 

Chris

Super Contributor

The nameplate rating assumes a BALANCED 3 phase load, usually within 10%. If the phase imbalance exceeds 10% then the stator may get too hot.

Some more details on your machine may help, but based on what you have provided so far I'm assuming you have this connected in a wye configuration, connected for nominal 400VAC line to line, so no matter how you are using the power downstream of the generator 300 amps is your max limit. If the imbalance exceeds 10% you should derate the machine, or install a transformer.

If the generator is a 10 or 12 led machine it can be reconnected for low voltage, and in that case would provide more amps, but may not service your three phase loads if they are 400VAC nominal.

If you continue to run the higher than rated current outputs, especially if they are unbalanced, the generator will have a shorter life, also your environment will also cause service life issues, since I'm assuming high ambient temperatures and humidity, right?

Hope that helps, MikeL.

I am supplying mostly single phase loads and we have a couple compressors that are running 3 phase. This Gen is standby for a hangar and 14 housing units based here in Indonesia. I have amp guages (meters) one for each phase. To keep from over taxing or gen (we have lots of electrical equipement) I want to know what our limit is. If I add the load of each phase together ( amps reading from the guages) I am often around 360 amps. These are the same gages that are used with our local power supply which I am assuming runs 220v. But I have not confirmed if they are reading 400v or 230v. I could check that I suppose. The question is. Does a three phase generator make power in such a way that you can just do the math and have more amps availible at the single phase 230v level? Or is it 300 amps regardless if i run line to line 400v or line to neutral 230 v?
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

So a line to neutral voltage of 220 will be 381 volts line to line, based on your nameplate of 200 kVA you should be able to pull 303 amps in theory.  That appears to represent a voltage reduction of 5% from the nominal.  Are you talking about three phase currents or are you trying to supply single phase loads only?

GEH 220

Hi,

I have an Olympia GEH 220 Gen.  It's 200 KVa, 160 Kw, 3 phase, 50 Hz, 400/230V.  Also printed on the placard 289 Amps.

My question is:  If I run at Line to Neutral 220V volts what would my current limit be?  Is it 289A or is it more?

Thanks for any resonses in advance.

Chris