Applications
Parts & Service
Rental
News & Events
About The Company
MalikMuhammad

Generator 3512 AVR and Governor setting

Dear All,

I am a junior worker drilling rig on cattepiller 3512 resently I faced a problem when I tried to online one generator to other,suddenly the current was double on new engine than other and KVAR andKW neddle was zero,I changed AC module and PC 1 but no success,Please tell me the soulation.Waiting for respone.

Malik Muhammad Imran

mikel
Topics: 2
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 15

Re: Generator 3512 AVR and Governor setting

To get any knid of usable info you're going to need to provide a whole lot more information about your equipment.

3512, mechanical (A) or electronic(B or C ) model?

What kind of governor and load sharing controls?

What kind of voltage regulator?  CAT VR6 or CDVR?  Maybe older? Maybe a KATO or Baldor tail end?  Details would be helpful

Do have automatic or only manual paralleling controls?

You can't have zero kW and kVAR and have current flowing, so there is something wrong with your metering or you information.  Real or reactive power flow is required for current to flow, usually a combination of both is what most loads consist of, but if you have neither you have no load.

Have the units worked in parallel before, or is this a new installation?

Mike L.

Visitor
pervin

Guys,

It sounds like (based on my electrical background) your voltage was too low and when you tied into the common buss the current spiked. Do you remember what the voltage was on the generator prior to sync? Next time put the generator control in manual and adjust the generator output voltage to exactly the same as the adjoining unit, then try to sync up.

Contributor
rnhussain

Mr Mikel . I am Totally agree with you .First He give whole information then we can do  .May be he did not connect the CT connecton on the LSM proper way . May be he putt some wrong connection of the drop ct .

Cat Dealer
scushman

Re: Generator 3512 AVER and Governor setting

Since this is a drill rig application it's most likely that the governor and voltage regulator are not CAT, Woodward or Basler.  These functions are typically integral to the drill rig controls.  If  the engine EUI the interface is an analog to PWM converter that is included in the electronic instrument panel.  If MUI the rig control provides 0-200 ma for the Woodward EG-6P actuator.

ahmadkhan85

hey 

from what your trying to say i assume that you have 3 gens , gen 1 and 2 is already online on the main buzzbar where as gen 3 not yet online ..... so when the gen 3 was fully in rated speed ,you sync it and it also goes onle and you see a spike in current ? is that correct ? and that spike in current is on a constant high at the gen 3 cubical ... 

so in other words the gen 3 starts taking more load then the previous online gen ? .... at this point i have to assume you a considerable amout of load .... say about 2 MPs , DWs and so forth . 

if   the above is correct , then i would consider that the load sharing might be an issue ... if your using basler AVR  and EGCP .... then you might want to look into fine tunning it . 

as per the reading of the metters ... i suspect that your transducer might be bad ..... try to swap out hte transducer with the other gen . .......

needless to say this is only my point of view .... others also have given good ideas .

cheers 

pradeepanv

Hi friend....

I can understand your problem regarding synchronization...

As said earlier by our community members you have to specify the details of your sync controller, avr and governor.

You put everything in manual check for terminal voltages of the common bus bar and the set to be operated in parallel (it should be same).

Then check for the phase sequence of the incomming set . it is more important (phase sequence should be same).

Then check for the frequency then match the frequency , then by using synchroscope method , switch on your incomming sets acb...

All the best.....

Perform with care with idea and presence of an electrical engineer...

Take care while handling power and power generators...

pradeepanv

Hi friend....

I can understand your problem regarding synchronization...

As said earlier by our community members you have to specify the details of your sync controller, avr and governor.

You put everything in manual check for terminal voltages of the common bus bar and the set to be operated in parallel (it should be same).

Then check for the phase sequence of the incomming set . it is more important (phase sequence should be same).

Then check for the frequency then match the frequency , then by using synchroscope method , switch on your incomming sets acb...

All the best.....

Perform with care with idea and presence of an electrical engineer...

Take care while handling power and power generators...

Regards...

V.Pradeepan B.E (electrical & electronics engineer)

(progen power solutions, chennai, tamilnadu, india)

For Generator erection, hiring, service, and clarifications contact me: 

Ph: +91-9952999072.

E-mail : progenpowersolutions@gmail.com