Visitor

Re: Is it possible to change (Oil and Gas) generator into (Industrial) generator: 600V to 400V 50HZ

Thank you Mikel for you help

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Is it possible to change (Oil and Gas) generator into (Industrial) generator: 600V to 400V 50HZ

[ Edited ]

The proper answer is no, the stator is wound to provide nominal 600VAC with a standard rotor and excitation system.

In reality you could adjust the voltage down, but the V/Hz ratio would be incorrect for the winding design, and you may see issues with stability and stator heating.

I have seen it done in many places in the world, but the long term results have almost always been unsatisfactory. A lot depends on what you intend to use the generator for, if it is a single unit operating standalone it is less of an issue, if it is paralleled with other units or the grid, you may have problems with pole slip from the low field levels.

Hope that helps, MikeL.

Visitor

Is it possible to change (Oil and Gas) generator into (Industrial) generator: 600V to 400V 50HZ

we have genset with this details

Engine 3512

FOR SCR DRILL RIG

1457 KVA        1020KW

0.7 PF              50 HZ

GENERATOR DATA:

3 PHASE         6 LEADS         SERIES WHY CONNECTION

600 VOLT       1443 AMPS      FRAME: 807

EXITATION     58 VOLT         13.6 AMPS

WITH NO VOLTAGE REGULATOR

Is it possible to make this genset work on industrial application and change the rated voltage from 600V to 400V. if yes what actions should I do and What type of voltage regulator should i install