Products
Applications
Parts & Service
Rental
News & Events
About The Company
Visitor
ranajitnandy

CAT C32 generator synchronization and parallel operation by Heinzmann controller

Hi

Can anybody help me to solve below issue?

We have hookup a CAT C32 generator with our existing generator control panel which contains heinzmann analog controllers like load sharing unit LMG-03, auto synchronizer SYG-02 voltage matching unit SPAG-01 and softloading unit GSLU-01. The generator will be synchronize and operate parallely with other two Perkins gas generators equipped with same configuration heinzmann controllers.

We have installed a CAT PWM converter for speed bias. We could synchronize the generator with the bus but tripped with reverse power.

So what could go wrong or what is the suggested solution for this?

Regards

Nandy

mikel
Topics: 2
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 15

Re: CAT C32 generator synchronization and parallel operation by Heinzmann controller

What is the nominal voltage of the load share lines circuit of the Heinzman system? As I remember on the ones I have worked on it's 4 VDC.

I have done a couple of jobs integrating a CAT electronic unit into a Heinzman system, I have done it with both a Woodward Loadshare Module and a Woodward SPM D11. If you use an LSM, you may have to readjust the load gain up to near maximum to get it to work with the 4 VDC load share lines on the Hienzman system, the SPM D11 load share is 4 VDC and in my experience has worked good with CAT units IF you get it setup properly.

Sorry, traveling this week and don't have my Heinzman manuals to be able to give you a better answer.

Hope that helps,

Mike L.

Visitor
ranajitnandy

Re: CAT C32 generator synchronization and parallel operation by Heinzmann controller

Hi Mike

Thanks for the response, Heinzmann load share line has the voltage 0-3V, which is same as woodward LSM (9907-175) load share line. Our did not come with LSM. We can talked to the supplier for LSM but I have few question as below:

• Can Heinzmann synchronizer SYG-02 use with woodward LSM for automatic synchronization, or we need SPM-A for this purpose?
  • Though the Load share line voltage of Heinzmann and Woodward LSM are same(0-3V), do we still need a interface between them?
  • Can Heinzmann soft-loading unit GSLU-01 be directly connected with Heinzmann loadshare module (LMG-03) or we need seperate woodward soft-loading device?

Regards

Nandy

mikel

On the synchronizer, the Heinzmann should work with the sync inputs on the LSM.

If the Heinzmann is 0-3 VDC, then it should work fine, there was an older Woodward application note around (sorry, can't find a copy) that warned of ground loop problems, so just make sure the load share wiring is properly run, connected, shielded and grounded as recommended in the installation literature.

As I remember the GSLU is very similar to the Woodward AGLC, reference Woodward manual 82004, it works basically by intercepting the load share line signal and ramping it up or down to soft load/unload a unit from a network.  I have not used one with an LSM but I think if you review the documentation for both you'll find they work the same.

Remember there are two available LSM's with PWM output for use with CAT units, make sure you get the one that is battery powered (24VDC) and not line powered, as the line powered unit sometimes had control issues.

Hope that helps, Mike L.

mikel

The Woodward manual for the CAT LSM is 02036, I usually use the 9907-838, has PWM output surge protection.

Mike L.

Visitor
ranajitnandy

Hi Mike

Thank you for the suggestion, I will discuss this with local CAT dealer and come to a solution. I will update you the result.

Regards

Nandy

rauf

hi bro can u check this generator single load after control the avr and governor?