Engine Power Mentioned in Performance Data Sheets

Hi, 

I want to clarify one thing. I am speaking with reference to performance data DM8251 for a 1700 kVA prime rated generator set. However, the confusion remains for al

One the very first page the engine power is mentioned as 1460 bkW. Engine de-ration table also mentions de-rated bkWs with respect to this value. The same performance number mentions fan power as 46 bkW.

Now question is: Does this 1460 bkW includes fan power? I want to calculate net electric power without radiator, do I need to multiply this 1460 bkW with alternator efficiency or first add 1460 + 46 = 1506 bkW and then multiply it with alternator efficiency to get ekW?

Please share your experience regarding such calculations.

Regards

Burhan

Trusted Contributor

Re: Engine Power Mentioned in Performance Data Sheets

In my experience, Caterpillar engines are rated without the fan or with the fan, you maybe need to look closer to determine the actual rating in this case. Generator ends are rated seperately and may be rated higher than the KW rating of the engine. This higher rating is to provide electric motor starting capability even at the rated capacity of the engine. The engine is capable of more than the full load rating for electric motor starting, a short term increase in load.

Good day,

If You get any responce and answers??

Regards

Mark

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I don't have a copy of the Data sheet you are referring to. However, brake horsepower, or brake kilowat  is the measurment of the engine running on a dynamometer, bare, no parasitic loads, fan, alternator etc. There are many factors surounding the BHP measurement.

So, net KW, or EKW of the attached generator end would have to include power factor if the load is anything other than resistive and the load of the fan would need to be deducted.

Again, I don't have the data sheet you are referring to, but there should be some detail underlining the 1700 kva rating, regarding the power factor. I am sure there are some details missing here.