Applications
Parts & Service
Rental
News & Events
About The Company
Visitor
UCBerkley
Accepted Solution

How do I connect the breakers to the generator?

I have a generator.It's in a room that's hard to acess quickly.Is there a way that I can connect the breaker that is in a remote location to the generator?
Visitor
nketiahkwabena

Re: How do I connect the breakers to the generator?

what  you can do is to extend the out put voltage lines/cable from the alternator via insulated connetors or cable lugs to an externally mounted cct breaker located at a suitable place.here the genset voltage can then be taped from the output of the external breaker.take not of the amperage required.the breaker origionally placed on the genset can still be used externally provided it gets adequate protection in terms of housing.
Cat Dealer
Zeppelin-Int

Depend of power and type of your genset. BR, Arkadiy
Contributor
Tech1

Assuming that the genset is already installed and wired in, meaning the generator output is connected to an output breaker and then connected to the emergency side of a transfer switch, the circut breaker you want to back up with emergency power can be installed in the electrical panel that is fed from the transfer switch, however there are other items that need to be considered such as what is the total load on the genset already? what size breaker do you want to add and if it is for something like a 3 phase motor will the gen handle the inrush current? How evenly is the existing load distributed for the gen?If you are adding a breaker to back up a fire pump that is a whole other set of circumstances to be taken into consideration.Or if you are needing to install another panel that needs to be backed up by gen then do you need to add another transfer switch? If the breaker being installed is to provide back up power for something is there adequete safety precautions taken to prevent back feeding the utility and or motoring the generator?