Use of a 600 volts generator in a 440 volts system

Hello

We have two SR4 generators of 500 KW at 1800 rpm and 600 volts. We want to use them on a boat that the voltage is 440-460 volts. The serial number of one generator (they are twins) is 5NA07963 and the arrengement is 5N5079.

Can it be possible only by adjusting the voltage regulator. This boat has SR4 Basler voltage regulator in the main panel.

Thanks. 

Super Contributor

Re: Use of a 600 volts generator in a 440 volts system

The short answer is no, the voltage adjustment range for most generators is plus/minus 10% from nominal.  While it can likely be adjusted to provide a wider range, the volts/Hz ratio will not be correct for the stator winding design and you could see problems with stator heating and possible voiltag instability from the low excitation levels.

Hope that helps, MikeL.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Use of a 600 volts generator in a 440 volts system

I don't know if you have solved your problem with running a 600v generator end at 440-460 volts. Years ago I maintained a fleet of gen set running 24/7 in oilfield applications, running pumpjacks and downhole pumps. One of the machines was a Cat 3408B with an SR4 generator end, the original volatage rating on the tag was 600V 60 hz but it was producing 480 volts 60 hz.. I contacted the owner who told me they had a fleet of identical machines running like that, they did it that way to increase capacity for electric motor starting, which made sense to me. Soft start switch gear, in the oilfield at the time was rare.

I didn't get into the details of how the company did that but they must have used a voltage regulator rated for 480 volts.