Highlighted

Re: Crude Oil As Fuel?

Get Crude Oil Signals with high accuracy. Gold Crude Research provide recommendation for comex signals and Forex Signals. 

Gold Signals, Brent oil Signals, OPEC News, Silver Signals, Natural Gas Signals, Forex Signals, Currency Signals.

Trusted Contributor
Employee

JosRonde:

The document LEBW4976, along with some other Cat A&I Guides, can be downloaded from our Resource Center.

Visit http://www.catelectricpowerinfo.com/

Click the REGISTER HERE box and fill in your information.

Click on Product Guides > Application & Installation Guides > View Materials

LEBW4976 is the document titled "Diesel Fuel and Diesel Fuel Systems"

The other option would be to request it from your local Cat Dealer: http://www.cat.com/dealer-locator

--woody // Caterpillar Power Generation Moderator
Be sure to use the Kudos and Solution features. Learn More

In Belize there is a power plant using sweet crude as fuel in their 3608 diesel generators.  They centrifuge before it goes into the engines.  SOS and changing filters more frequently is needed but the savings from crude far outway the use of diesel fuels.  The contact person at the plant is Jake Letkeman his email is flpc@spanishlookout.bz

Where can we find the CAT publication LEBW4976. I tried the CAT website and get error not to be found.

Jos

New member TPx

Crude naturally requires more oxygen than diesel so the equipment will require A/F adjustments. Not only will the water and sediment be problems, but vanadium will be very damaging. Finally, high sulfur levels will cause maintenance and emission nightmares.

You're unlikely to meet OSHA workplace emissions standards.

Why not use cleaner biofuels ?

Contributor

Thanks Mike,

I'm still waiting to get a complete assay of the crude, and can give more info later.  Thanks for all the ideas, I'll get cracking on the homework.  My first impressions are:

1.  If there was any issue with water or solids, I expect we'd install a centrifuge/filter system as appropriate. 
  2. I suspect the viscosity will fit the fuel spec, will have to look at the winter minimum temps to see if jacket water heating or other system might be required.  This isn't HFO, but 37 API gravity crude.
  3. I see you also replied to my post re the drilling unit engines...thanks for your help

I'll have a look for the doc...

thanks again,

Mike 

Super Contributor

I have done it a couple of times using older 300 series diesels (399 and 398). Your main issues are,

1.   What are the contaminents, corrosives and water content of the fuel?

2.   How high will you have to heat it to get it to the viscosity the fuel injection system can manage?

3.   What kind of fuel treatment system are you looking at in conjunction with this project?

4.   Do you have skilled operations staff to manage fuel and oil treatment? Diesel engines are pretty easy, fill the tanks, change the filters when needed, HFO engines need a large amount of TLC for fuel treatment, heavier the fuel more treatment and attention needed.

5.   What size units are you looking at?  Smaller high speed engines of modern design will likely not lend themselves to running on heavy fuels, medium speed larger engines do better.

Take a look at CAT publication LEBW4976, has a good description of crude oil fuel system design.

Hope that helps,

Mike L.

Contributor

I've found a specific example, though not in the mining industry.  A company is running a Cat 379 TAC as part of a drilling operation, currently using diesel fuel.  Any suggestions about the viability of using "the right" kind of crude oil as fuel?

Thanks,

Mike

Contributor

Crude Oil As Fuel?

I'm investigating the us of crude oil and crude/condensate blend and condensate/diesel blend as fuel for gensets in the mining industry.  The candidates are all set up for diesel use now.  Anybody have any suggestions about how to evaluate this?