Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Fuel System requirements

D Umean 40 Kpa in return line is permisible/normal?

that restriction (40kPa) on return line with multiple engine or one only?

d u have experience with multiple engine (more than 5) installation  in one line?

Regular Contributor

corect misure of the restritcion delta, 1  you put pressure gauge in out of fuel cooler , this is corret delta of restirction,  2  for my info fuel line restriction is orer 40 Kpa permet, or 5 meters above engine return line, hi have a lot of generators istalled on commercial shipe ,and the daly fuel tank is above 5 meters engine line, no problem at full power for many ours, some engine is over 50000, injectors standar rotation,

very important is DIESEL  TEMPERACTURE  NO MORE  40°  BIG SUGGESTION

Contributor

I put pressure gauge after regulator and fuel cooler, is that correct way to measure fuel return restriction?

when measuring with pressure gauge, I get number about 4 Psi (27,6 kPa), so i think fuel cooler have high restriction (higher than CAT requirement)?

any suggestions?

Regular Contributor

you have more hot temperacture around injectors, more pressure in by pas manifold, so need to do some ajustment, is not the best for continuos work, but if you  not have more choise, hi have many of this bad istallatiion, and hi have see also more of this around midle est area, is not are the best,

Contributor

Sorry coz I'm new member :-) ........engine 3516B TA, I just want to figure out what impact if fuel return restriction is higher than CAT requirement (27 Kpa)

Regular Contributor

wat type of engine you need info,  exist all ready depend wat you want , and old info for mechanical people do to this

Contributor

Dear Wissam,

how to measure fuel return restriction and how to design calculation for it, any document from CAT explain for it?

thanks

Cat Dealer
Dealer

[ Edited ]

Hello all,

I think you are using a 3516 CAT genset, its power rating 2275 kVA. As for sizing the fuel Supply and Return Lines between the Gensets and the daily fuel tanks, you should take into consideration the MAXIMUM fuel flow rate which equals to 1260 L/H at full load in order to properly size the fuel pipes, Not 454 L/H as for the maximum fuel consumption for the engine, because the fuel goes through the engine not only to supply the fuel but also to cool the injectors then return the rest to the daily fuel tank. 

The main parameters should be respected when we disegn the fuel system for the engine, and they are listed as follow :

- The Maximum fuel Flow.

- The Maximum allowable supply line Restriction.

- The Maximum allowable return line Restriction.

- The Maximum allowable Fuel Temperature from the daily fuel tank to the engine.

Please refer to the below parameters for 3516B CAT genset for more details if you need to calculate the effective size of the fuel (Supply and return) Lines : 

Fuel System  

MAX FUEL FLOW TO TRANSFER PUMP (TO ENG) 1,260.0 L/HR

MAX ALLOW FUEL SUPPLY LINE RESTRICTION 30.0 KPA

MAX ALLOW FUEL TMP FROM TRANSFER PUMP IN 66.0 DEG C

MAX FUEL FLOW TO RETURN LINE (FROM ENG) 1,240.0 L/HR

MAX ALLOW FUEL RETURN LINE RESTR 27.0 KPA

NORMAL FUEL PRESSURE-CLEAN SYSTEM 415.0 KPA

FUEL SYSTEM TYPE EUI  

MAX TFR PUMP PRMG LIFT W/O PRMG PUMP 3.7 M FUEL

I hope my information will be helpful and valuable for you,

Best regards,

Wissam HAYEK / Application Engineer

M. Ezzat Jallad & Fils / Caterpillar Dealer

Cnam Engineer

6 Sigma Green Belt Certified

Tel : (+961)-9-212077-78-79-80-81       Ext.: 231

Mobile : (+961)-3-817259

Fax : (+961)-9-212073

P.O.BOX 110 208, Postal Code 1107 2020

Riad Solh, Beirut, Lebanon

E-mail : whayek@jallad.com.lb

Personnel E-mail : wissam.michel.hayek@gmail.com

Message Edited by Wissam on 11-18-2009 11:10 AM
Visitor

The simple answer is no.  There is no standard size.  However to properly size the piping you need to look at the maximum required flow rate of your equipment.  The generator might have the largest flow or a polishing system may be the largest or even a transfer pump.  In any case look at the largest flow required.  Then get the distance between the fuel supply tank and the engine, determine the number and type of fittings that will be needed to make the piping run, and the grade if any.  Take this information to a mechanical engineer and they can tell you line size based on this data.  The engineer will also tell you if I have missed something.  In most cases I have found that the CAT PSSR or salesperson will have access to someone who can give you this info.

Cleanfuelman,

when sizing the fuel supply line for the generator, is there a standard diameter to use? or is there a way to get more information on the generator's fuel pump in order to determine losses (friction, valves, bends) and size the diameter from there?