Visitor

Re: G3520C Generator set

[ Edited ]

Hi every body,

Could anybody tell me , what is the practicable hours of operation for each Gas Genset in real word, some body said that it works more that 8000 hours per year. please let me know your opinion about that.

Super Contributor

The O&M Guides will provide minimal information for you to plan real world maintenance costs, way too many factors to consider to put all of it in a general publication.  However, CAT does have several of these engines in Power Protection programs, and your local dealer should be able to put you in contact wth the folks running those programs and give you some real world operating numbers.

In general the O&M guide will give reasonable information for engines running baseload on pipeline quality fuel (clean, dry and about 900 BTU LHV), and not running in strict emissions districts.

Stringent air quality standards, lower quality fuels, varying load levels, extreme ambient conditions, and capability of local service support will increase baseline maintenance costs.

Mike L.

To njc1979: I don't have the engine serial number, that's the tricky part, but thank you for your prompt response. It does shed some light on what I need to do. :)

Trusted Contributor

O & M manuals have to be ordered. Typically they are part of the engine order, additional copies must be specified.  Contact your local dealer parts department with your engine serial number and they should be able to order you a hard copy.  

Hi everybody,

Can someone please tell me where can I get a copy online of the Operation & Maintenance Manual for the G3520C generator set? I have a client that is interested in installing two of these units and is requesting very detailed information on operation and maintenance. I was able to download a file from the CAT website (G3500C and G3500E GENERATOR SETS Maintenance Intervals), but it only contains part of the information that my client needs. Any suggestions you can provide would be highly appreciated.

Many thanks!

What has been the average up time experienced for the G3520C across 8760 annual hours where the unit is being fueled by LFG, biogas, or upgraded biomethane (pipeline quality ~ 97 %)??

we can extand our spark plug duration by using spark plug Part # 346-5123 Type pre chamber.  or 243-4291 type J-gap by increasing ignition timing up to 34/35 degree.

G3520C engine is the best engine, follow the proper operating procedure and maintenance we get more batter result from operation.

G3520C is the best Generator set, keep preventive maintenance on time all parts are reliable, ignition transformer life is no long, J gap spark plug is improving the performance of Gen set.

Contributor

I just read all comments and replies regarding Caterpillar G3520C natural gas generator sets. I believe Cat G3520C is not third class. Currently I have been doing business in Caterpillar power generation located at Pakistan, Which has been suffering from peak energy crisis for more than two years. My valued clients are based on numerous G3520C and G3516C generator sets which are designed on methane fuel @ 50Hz.

In Pakistan there is about more than 2000 natural gas generators are running on continuos application. Along Caterpillar there is a wide range is going on like Waukesha, GE Jenbacher, Guascor and Cummins too. But Caterpillar G3500C series is most demanding just because of its outstanding qualities i.e. low lube oil and fuel consumption which every one has to suffer in running natural gas generator sets.

The cost per unit and low maintenance generators are only Caterpillar G3516C and G3520C models in Pakistan. If we make comments one spark plugs they are unique from all spark plugs i.e pre-chamber type which is very useful allowing to burn completely and instantly the air fuel mixture to enter in 5 unique orifices of spark plug. The major difference in earlier and C series Caterpillar natural gas engines is pre-chamber spark plug use rather than J type.

Turbochargers are designed by ABB which are reliable to produce smooth boost pressure. G3520C has one one big turbocharger like GE Jenbacher J320 and both brands are designed on V20 and 50Hz.

The only improvement in my experience Caterpillar has needed to enhance the life of Throttle in fuel system which usually gets trouble after 1.5 years or above 12,000 service hours. I have replaced two throttle group of G3520C engines in natural gas generator application having Caterpillar part number 204-9415 along harness too. This throttle is designed and manufactured by Woodward.

The spark plugs interval is 3000 hours part number 284-8313 / 199-9012. It must be improved or enhanced by new technology like GE Jenbacher platinum based spark plugs.

Thanks for reading.  

Zeeshan Ahmad