Contributor

Re: G3520C Landfill - Fuel pressure troubles.

Hi,

Have you solved your problem? If so what did you find?

Thanks

Contributor

Hi,

Before the Raptor valve, it is the pressure regulator, my is a made by Fisher. Its not too bad of a job to remove and clean up.

I am doing the maintance on this now, every 5000hrs or if things start acing different with the fuel pressure.

Contributor JCL
Contributor

Hello Beeker

Our engine has at this point 10,859 HRS. With the gas regulator you refer to the one that is located right before the Raptor or the one in our Blower? We may have to check this as you told, it has a lot of sense. Have you performed this maintenance by your self or you call your Cat Dealer to do it?

Contributor JCL
Contributor

Thanks for the info Gordini. Unfortunately we do not have that sensor that you mentioned. Caterpillar brought a special mobile sensor last time where we were having troubles with the mixture. They took readings, adjust the carburation and everything was fixed.

I think we are going to push our dealer to give us a solution and suggest them to bring this device because it is unacceptable that they have not solve it yet and this is bringing lost hours of production.

Contributor

Hello,

I have a 3520 as well here at our anirobic digester and it sounds like a problem that I have here time to time. I would be looking at the gas regulator. I need to service mine it tends to "gum up" from what ever is in the gas. The diaghram tends to get sticky so it can not respond as quick. 

How many hours on the engine?

Regular Contributor

It is fine, but you have in analyzer of exhaust fumes? because all nice and functional but the only tool that tells you how reamente is burning your fuel engine is just one analyzer fumes, possibly 4-chemical cells, we in europe using text, Eurotronic, then others, you have to understand the level of oxygen that remains after combustion in the exhaust gases,

because the only way you know if you're too skinny thing that suspicion, or too rich, these data are plausible, and remain such,

greetings

Gordini

Contributor JCL
Contributor

Hello Gordini

Thank you for the advice. We have a dedicated PLC that takes the value of our biogas from the landfill and converts it to BTU for the engine system. The gas analyzer is located right after the blower. 

Do you think Caterpillar systems must be checked?

Greatings

Contributor JCL
Contributor

Hello Beeker

No, we have not solved it yet. The dealer is messing around and for us they seem to have no idea of what is going on with the engine. 

According to your request:

We have the blower, pipe section, a gas chiller, another pipe section, then we have a pressure sensor with an analogue meter and finally it arrives to the engine room. Inside the engine room it has an analogue pressure meter, fuel filter, another analogue pressure meter, a gas pressure regulator, then more pipe that arrives to the Raptor entrance.

Additional info: The pressure sensor that is located after our gas chiller is the one in charge of controlling the spin of the blower. It has also an analogue meter, and in our tests it always reads 150mBar at that point.

Greatings

Regular Contributor

then my experience is like getting a carburetion problem, ie the system does not maintain the correct stoichiometric ratio, controls the oxygen sensor if installed, or use the flue gas analysis, and you will solve everything,

Gordini greetings

Contributor

Hello,

How arre you making out on your problem, did you solve it yet?

If not I might be able to help but I need more information on your gas train. What is between your gas blower and the engine. 

Thanks

David