Re: waste heat recovery

Sometimes when i see what the young people is doing in terms of wast heat recovery i really get amazed!!! I all my years of experience i never imaginated that the tecnology could evolve so fast... Now i apply all my former knoledge in a totally different industry the one of web pronosticos ...  :)

i am interested in seeing one of these egines equiped with your waste heat recovery system.  i am in South Florida.  is there a retailer or facility near here?

Contributor

I operate at a site which has a ORC heat recovery unit.  Exhaust heat from 1 3520c landfill gas operates the ORC that make some power - 50kw.  The big problem at my plant is exhaust back pressure for the 3520, we are noticing premature cylinder head exhaust valve failures, turbos and engine instablity do to the increase in back pressure, which is around 18-27"WC.  So be aware! CAT's never exceed limit for backpresure is 27"wc @ sea level.

Thanks docdsl,

v.

Contributor

Aalborg is another good source for waste heat recovery systems including thermal oil

http://www.aalborg-industries.com/products_services/

Hi John,

It is a Cat 3516. I will have to get the details from the engineers.

Victor.

Contributor

Hi this is John again,

Yes, I think their are a lot of people here that have experience on this ( I developed COGEN application for years for a Dutch CHP Packager).

Just to make it easier for every-one....

Please can you give details for the hot media:

- exhaust gas ?  Flow ?  Temperature ? Allowed Pressure loss ?

And the same for the to be heated media:

- Thermal oil: Flow, Pressure, Temperature, all Thermal parameter of the oil and more...

Do you use a CAT engine? Which type ? Performance ? 

Woodward Governor Account manager for the EAME Caterpillar Dealers,
Coordinator for Woodward's Recognized Engine Retrofit Dealer network,

Woodward Netherlands,
Hoofdweg 601,
2131AA Hoofdweg
Phone: +31 (0)6 20012881

Thanks for the tip. I tried these guys and they were not able to extract the BTU/hour that was required to get the exhaust down to the 320 degF range with thermal oil. If anybody else has some suggestions it would be appreciated. It appears as though a different configuration is required. One supplier suggested a multi-pass coiled finned tube configuration inside a shell (more surface area), but the cost of that unit was out of this world, in addition to being vulnerable to damage from backfire of the engine.  

Thanks,

Victor.

Contributor

Juchymenko:

In regards to your question of exhaust heat recovery silencers utilizing oil, Vaperphase is a capable group to start with.  Contact Terry Hurley at 573-436-0390.  I was informed he should be able to help. 

Otherwise, Cain Industries in Germantown, WI is another source: 262-251-0051.

Good luck!

I am looking for an exhaust heat exchanger that can heat thermal oil. As you indicated, the exhaust is around 900 degF and I want to take it down to around 320 degF. Any manufacturers or suppliers you can suggest?

Thanks.