Super Contributor

Re: 3208TA Tachometers

The best option is probably a mag pickup in the flywheel housing to read from the flywheel teeth (126). There is a pulse generator available which drives from the injection pump gear but these are not as reliable. I've never believed the signal from the alternator to be very accurate.

Thanks for the reply.  Yes sir, I understand that.   I'm upgrading my instruments and dash panels and these new aftermarket Teleflex gauges are part of this project.    I need to understand why these are not working in my boat and what it will take to make them operational.    I've recently installed aftermarket Teleflex oil pressure, water temp, voltage, hourmeter, synchronizer gauges to these twin 3208TA's in my boat without any problems.    For some reason the Tachometers will not read and I need help understanding where the the problem is and  how to fix it.    Do you know what the 3208TA uses for tach generation?     what type of sender is on the engine?  

Super Contributor

These are not Caterpillar tachometers.

We currently have teleflex 65692P Diesel Mag P/U 12V.  This tach, on our boat, will not indicate RPM.   

http://www.westmarine.com/buy/sierra--tach-hourmeter-diesel-mag-p-u-4000rpm-0-4000rpm-code-b-dia-3-7...

another option was teleflex 65671P which uses the alternator (pretty sure our 3208TA's dont use the alternator for tech generation) but not 100% sure.  

I believe the big question is 'Do I need a tachmeter that works with the alternator (not likely in my opinion), or tach that works with a pulse generator type sender, or a mag pickup sender.  

if my assumptions are correct, the 65692P Mag pickup style may be (should be) the one...but why doesnt it work?  lol.   

thanks for hearing me out and offering to help dave10010.    truly appreciated and very ready to get this settled and done!  

Super Contributor

What is the part number of the tachometer you purchased?

3208TA Tachometers

1989 39' Sea Ray Express Cruiser. 3208TA 375HP Caterpillars. I'm in process of replacing tachometers and cant get either of the new gauges to indicate RPM. what tachometer type do I need? Any other helpful advice you may offer? Old tachs read perfectly.... Port engine - 01Z17324 Starboard engine- 01Z17325 Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.