Visitor

Re: ECM Cat 3196 current draw

[ Edited ]

Yes, of course, now when the boat is stationary detach the batteries, we are also installing an automated battery switch below 23 volts, but I would have liked to know the absorption of the ECM in normal conditions, or in general of all the engines electrical system when engines are stopped.

A photo of the measurement on the line though engines.

20160511_091953[1].jpg

Super Contributor

Re: ECM Cat 3196 current draw

The engine ECMs are wired to unswitched battery power to retain memory but I don't believe the draw should be as high as .3 amps. The ECM contains an internal battery for memory also and this battery was designed to last about 10 years. I wouldn't replace ECMs until they have failed. The easiest thing you can do is disconnect the batteries when the boat is not being used.
Visitor

ECM Cat 3196 current draw

[ Edited ]

Hello everyone, I am writing from Italy so sorry for grammatical errors, I'm a driver on the pilot boats , I have a question to ask yourself, on the pilot boats have two cat 3196 years built 2003, when the engines are off if I measure the current draw with clamp meter on the line (Marine Junction box) there are 0.6 amperes current draw. This absorption of current I think depends on the two ECM, 0.3 amperes each motor. It's normal that the ECM absorb 0.3 amperes when the engines are turned off ? This causes the low batteries in three days (Optima Blue Top battery 75 Ah)